Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Move into cash! Move into cash!! April Fools!

Last week I was watching some business show...I think on CNBC if I'm not mistaken and they had three financial pundits on who all were saying how important it was for investors to move into cash. That was about 500 points ago on the Dow and about a 4% increase. Nice call guys. Thank goodness I don't listen to pundits, but it's unfortunate that a good number of investors do.

The interesting thing about today's move though is that it won't be reflected on anyone's quarter end performance report! I wonder how many mutual funds are going to say in their quarterly letter to their shareholders that "subsequent movements in the market have significantly impacted our annual performance." Take a look for it when you receive your communications over the next few weeks and let me know if you come across any.

Had guitar class last night and I'm NOT doing well. I need to spend more time practicing. At this point, I'm thinking I might repeat Guitar 1. It's not expensive at all and I'd rather get some "mastery" of the basics before forcing myself to move on.

Had another training session with Sadist Joel today. It went fairly well, but I was really exhausted at times during the workout. However, I did do a personal best on the bench press! It's sort of odd to say that though as I wasn't trying to max out what I could lift AND I did it five times AND it was after a bunch of reps at lower weights. So my progression was 12 reps @115 lbs (to warm up), 10 reps @ 155, 10 reps @ 175, 7 reps @ 180 and finally 5 reps @ 185. And that was just the bench pressing! In between those sets, I was holding 20 lbs and then 40 lbs of weight and doing jump-squats where you go into a squat and then explode in a jump and land softly on the balls of your feet into a squat again. Repeat 15 times.....for three sets. I was beat for good reason maybe.....that was just the first half hour.

Happy Birthday to Kleveland Kim!! Her birthday is Wednesday.

9 comments:

Desiree said...

Joe -- are you training at LPAC? There's a Joel there who's a personal trainer, wondering if that's the guy who's been breaking your back.

alexis said...

I'm so glad this April Fool's no one did anything to me!

stef said...

whoof. I have to rest now just from reading that description.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Actually Des, he USED to be at LPAC (this Joel was at least) but now he's over at Fitness Formula on Halsted. I'm only there for the training.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an intense work-out. I did 3 sets/10 reps@165 and some other weak shit...your making me feel like a real wuss Joe!
Sorry to hear about your guitar lessons though, I was told and always felt like I needed to put 2-3 good hours in everyday, at the least.

Anonymous said...

Had guitar class last night and I'm NOT doing well. I need to spend more time practicing. At this point, I'm thinking I might repeat Guitar 1. It's not expensive at all and I'd rather get some "mastery" of the basics before forcing myself to move on.

Give it 2 more weeks before you decide, Joe -- you're probably going to learn in fits and starts and may be much better then than you think. Hell, practice with me; I can use it myself.

Also, keep in mind that when you get to 1rep, you'll be learning a few more things, but mainly practicing what you're doing now -- with new songs to do it with. You're generally better off going on to 1rep and repeating that before going to 2, rather than repeating 1 before going to 1rep.

--dJF

Desiree said...

Joe -- longish, scraggly hair, scruffy guy?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Des, he's the Joel who's a friend on my facebook page. You've just described every non-gay trainer in existence.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

BTW, thanks for the thoughts dejesus. That sounds like a reasonable suggestion.

I can't put in two hours of practice Tim, but I did put in about 45 minutes yesterday. If I can keep that up, maybe I won't seem so retarded on Monday nights.