Monday, March 31, 2008

Worst day of the year for baseball. Huh??

That's right. I said it. Opening Day is the worst day of the year to go to a baseball game....at least at Wrigley. In particular, opening day of the season as opposed to just the home opener, which could happen a week or two later.

Why my opposition? Three things really: weather, women and bathrooms. The last two are actually related though. First, the weather is going to suck to watch a baseball game on March 31st. I'm sorry, it's just too damn early to be watching baseball. Push it back two weeks and start playing doubleheaders on Sunday again. Or take 10 games out of the schedule, I don't care. Let's just revert back to 1965 all around!! Seriously though, it's cold. Though it got up over 60 today after the game started, it was 42 most of the morning and I think at game time.

Women. They don't go to opening day. Maybe they go hang out at bars AROUND the stadium, but few actually go to the game. Why? To be honest, women are in the vast minority when it comes to season ticket holders of Cubs tickets, so to start with there are more men than women all around the stadium. Second, women are smart enough to say, "No thanks, I'll just meet you AFTER the game." Third, on this day, and during the playoffs, guys tend to invite other guys to the game as opposed to their wives or girlfriends.

Bathrooms. Because of the preponderance of men at the game, the lines at the bathrooms are unrelenting!! If more women were there, fewer men would be there to go to the bathroom and I wouldn't have to miss an inning and a half just to relieve myself. Sadly, the bathroom is the only warm place in the stadium, so it's almost a nice break to go there!! It's really just a horrible thing all around.

Plus you know the Cubs are going to lose......like they did today. Thanks Kerry Wood.

6 comments:

Desiree said...

Oh Joe, you're just too old-fashioned.

alexis said...

it's one of the rare moments in life when the line for the men's room is longer than that for the women's. For that anomaly alone, I am pro-early season games.

stef said...

I am a reasonable woman that is going to be waiting a few more weeks before going to a game. But I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Normally, 99% of the time, I agree with you about Opening Day. Haven't gone to one in years . . .

Until yesterday. I went up to check out the Ernie Banks statue (which looks great), and the weather seemed just fine -- the rain had died down and the temps felt like lower 50s. I figured "what the hell -- if I can get a good ticket, I'll go."

Lo and behold, the box office had a single behind the plate for $66. I went and was under the roof, didn't get wet, and had a great time.

I should also add that for someone who goes to Bears games when the wind chills are minus-20 wind chills (and tailgate, no less), hearing you complain about the cold is a bit funny.

I'm also disappointed to learn that the main reason you go to games were the women (who were there, by the way).

-dJF

Anonymous said...

Yes, baseball season! I find myself torn this year. I tease my fair-weather Dodger friends every chance they blow during the last stretch of the season.
I really like Joe Torre, it will be tough to smack-talk the blue this year...um go Brad Penny.
In all honesty, I really enjoy watching baseball, it brings me back to when I was a child with my grandfather watching the Yankee games.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You're probably right dejesus. If I had been home and monitoring the weather more closely, I probably could have gone and enjoyed myself as it seemed a bit warmer than it was earlier in the day. I'm not one to go to games by myself though, so I miss out on those great ticket deals. Good for you!

And yes, it's ridiculous that it has to be 60 degrees or warmer for me to come close to enjoying a cubs game, but I'll go to a Bears game when it's 20 and have a blast. Maybe it's the tailgate??

And the women are really only one small part of the event, this time of year at least (in july when they are wearing bikini tops, they are a BIG part of the reason to go) but on opening day, they are dramatically outnumbered causing the bathroom lines. That's my real problem.Nothing worse than waiting to pee in a trough.