Sunday, March 23, 2008

Faberge Egg Hunts

First off, thanks to everyone for their birthday wishes! Very kind of you all. I received many cards and even a few presents (special thanks to DogBrian!). Yay for me!! Heck, even MWrigley texted me a happy birthday message.

On my birthday I opted for a non-traditional celebration: pain and sweating. Several guys on the softball team have elicited the help of a trainer who had been working for the New England Patriots over the last five years or so. He's been working with us and them on speed training. Basically every thing we do is to increase our leg strength, enhance our running form or improve our agility. It's an awesome work out and at the end of the workout I really think I am a bit quicker....or maybe it's just quicker than last season. My work with Sadist Joel has been paying off as well.

Afterwards, our coach and sponsor, Paul and his wife Gretchen, took me out for pizza. It was a nice wrap up to the day. Here are pics:




This is where we went.














And these are the good folks who took me there!








This morning I hit 7:45 mass before heading out to my folks' place. On the agenda: the annual Easter egg hunt pitting me against my 8 year old niece. Last year I won 7 eggs to 5 to have bragging rights for the year. Pity her if you will, but it's basically me against the entire family. This year, I tried a slightly different strategy. Instead of following her around and trying to beat her to the eggs she sees too, I went around the other side of the house entirely. It looked like the strategy was going to pay off with two quick finds, but the second one was in the mouth of the drain pipe from the eaves. Unable to get the egg out, I wasted valuable time removing the drain pipe and trying to forcibly shake the egg out. After that debacle, which Bee found quite humorous, there wasn't enough time or eggs for me to recover. Even so, I only lost 7-5, but I've lost bragging rights. Damn.

My mom made me my own pastry wreath for my birthday! There goes any hope of weight loss.

The really big news today though is that Joisey Ken got engaged!!! Congratulations to him and Hoboken Dawn. They're an awesome couple. Ken hid the ring in a Fabergé egg and gave it to her to open after their Easter egg hunt. Nicely done!!

Busy week for me with guitar, dinner with lawyers, and a visit from el supremo de NM later in the week. Yowza!

8 comments:

alexis said...

happy belated birthday joe!!

love the easter tradition. 8 year olds need dressing down every once and a while!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Buddy!

I hate to think how badly you would have been beaten if your niece worked with sadist Joel!! ;-)

Ken

Anonymous said...

PAAS Easter egg dye kit...$1.00
1 Dozen hard boiled eggs...$1.29
Seeing your Little Brother shaking a downspout and swearing at it...PRICELESS!!
Love ya, Joe, Happy Birthday!

Bee

Anonymous said...

Probably should have stayed with the "brute athleticism" method rather than trying to out think her.

Sorry to be late with the happy birthday but that's pretty much the M.O. in our family. "Oh ya your birthday was last week...well happy birthday."

Buy you a drink when I'm in town this week.

stef said...

Happy Belated birthday! Sorry missed it.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Thank you all for the birthday wishes!

You're right el supremo, I should have stuck with out-muscling her as opposed to trying to out think her. For some reason I thought she would panic and run to where I ran....but she did not.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Oh and bee, that was funny!

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day.! I don't understand why your working with anyone on the Patriots staff, there all cheaters!