Sunday, March 09, 2008

Sposmodic contraction of the diaphragm

Friday night, for the first time in four years I believe, I had the hiccups. They would just not go away. Clearly it was related to my alcohol consumption, but they were annoying none-the-less.

Dejesus Freak and I hit an Irish party/fundraiser put on by an old buddy of mine with whom I've played on several co-ed softball teams and have attended several of his events. Coincidentally enough, Forest Park Kim (who I flew to see in Dallas a year ago), was in attendance. What a great gal as she introduced me to all of her very attractive friends. It was really nice to see her again and she continues to look absolutely awesome. Good for her.

The hiccups didn't go away until I got home, which meant that I had them the entire time that I was at a new bar on Clark. Can't remember the name, but Dejesus Freak and I went there after the fund raiser and they have a crap load of micro-brews. More importantly, they have both Goose Island Matilda and Piere Jacques. Both, excellent beers and what Dejesus Freak and I partook in two of as it turned out.

All that drinking made Saturday morning come really early and it was a busy day in deed. Around noon, I was meeting Naperville Greg and Kleveland Kim out by Woodfield Mall to help celebrate Greg's 40th birthday. As a surprise for my long time buddy, I got him the Joisey Ken Special, an automatic car starter! While it was being installed, we went to see No Country for Old Men, a movie we all wanted to see. It was pretty good, but it had sort of a Sopranos ending. We had lunch at Big Bowl before the movie and by the time the movie was done, so was the car. Good timing. Then we grabbed a cup of java from Caribou coffee. It was a pretty good day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what are the old fashion remedies to get rid of hiccups. I heard there are several, but that information escapes my mind. Anyone have any suggestions?

SM

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

There are TONS out on the web, with reviews about whether they work or not. About 4 years ago, I had them for three days straight leading up to NYE. They stopped when I went to bed (and my diaphragm relaxed) and then started up again first thing in the morning. It was the worst. I was drinking water upside down, gulping salt water, peanut butter on the roof of my mouth, drinking water with a spoon in the glass or my mouth or something, everything. Nothing worked. You just have to wait for the spasm to stop sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough I've found that antacids work pretty good especially for drinking related hiccups. I think digestive track gas might be a contributor.

Anonymous said...

Risque Cafe and I don't remember you having the hiccups. Was I that drunk or were you?

Oh, and FP Kim was a peach!

-dJF

Anonymous said...

Oops, I take that back -- I do remember hearing about the NYE attack after all.

-dJF