Thursday, March 20, 2008

From 52 to 6 inches of snow. Welcome to Chicago in March.

Headed out to the burbs today for a dentist appointment and to take my folks to lunch. The appointment went well, despite not having been there in over a year.

It ended up being an eventful day though. For lunch, we headed to Heaven on Seven, a restaurant that I've boycotted in Wrigleyville until they closed the location. Now, I'm not saying they closed it BECAUSE of me, but I contributed!! Once upon a time, the staff there didn't bring me my jalapeƱo cheddar muffin when I wanted it with my meal (after asking nicely), so I never went back. Seems dramatic, but with soooo many good restaurants in Chicago, it's pointless to patronize one with bad service or food.

It was good to see the parents, as always, and the weather was really nice, 52 degrees according to my car. On the way home, I heard that, despite the cloudless sky, we were going to be under a winter storm warning. Nice, it's not even winter for the duration of the warning!! Six inches of snow expected downtown and 10-12 near Wisconsin. Unbelievable.

Made some exciting progress last night on the guitar. I was actually strumming something that resembled a song that I was actually trying to play. The song was Leaving on a Jet Plane by John Denver. It only has three chords.....I say only, but I shouldn't. That's more than I think is reasonable for someone who has only been playing for three weeks. I'm sure I'll look back and think "what a dope", but it's fun to make progress!!

5 comments:

alexis said...

I can see Joe how you'd never survive the service culture here in Amsterdam!

Anonymous said...

Many, many, many songs only have three chords Joe.

When once asked about songwriting, Bono said that all you need to write songs is "three chords and the truth." B.B. King once said that he built his entire career off of three chords -- the I, IV, V (or in your specific case, the D, G, A (or A7) progression).

Keep it up!

--dJF

stef said...

Too true about the restos. Once a place is "on the list" it's hard work for it to come off. Good work on the guitar!

Anonymous said...

Of ALL the John Denver songs you had to pick that particular one? Well, I hope it continues to work out well for you!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Trust me Dogbrian, I didn't pick it. There are a few songs that are in a "book" that work well with the progression of chords that we learn. This one primarily uses two chords and throws in a third periodically.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Yes Alexis, either I would be in Amsterdam jail or a waiter would be unconscious or both.