Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Your body is a temple.....and so is my church.

Had an interesting day today on the eve of el supremo de NM coming to town. In addition to a lot of work and client prep, I had an outstanding workout with Sadist Joel. Last week I forgot to mention that he tried something new with me where, again about half way through the workout while I was already tired, he had me do a pull-up and then drop and do five "explosive" push-ups (where you have to push your body up and get your hands off the floor...sort of like clap push-ups without the clap). Then he made me do it again. And again. And again. Ten times in all. Tell you what, that was freaking exhausting. Well today he stepped it up a notch and made me do two pull-ups each time and 8-10 explosive push-ups. Somehow I managed to do that five times. This was after he had me do as many pull-ups as I could (and I did more than I ever have!). That was just one 15 minute span of the workout by the way. Let me tell you, I'm a bit tired right now.

My other temple, St. Alphonsus church, is under going renovations. I've contributed a significant amount of money to the renovation fund, so I'm excited to see the changes taking place. I thought you might too, so I snuck in today on my way to work and took pictures! Here they are:


This is one of several vaulted alcoves in the ceiling on either side of the church. The main ceiling was too far away for the pictures to turn out. Click on this picture and you can see the bad color and peeling paint.









This is the alter during the week. The floor has been ripped up completely and new marble is going in.










I see this every week and it reminds me that I hadn't taken pictures of the renovations. Now I have!!!










This is the main part of the church, but all of the pews are removed during the week and then put back into place on by Saturday. Unbelievable the amount of work required to do this.












Here's an alcove in transition to the new colors!! It really looks beautiful.














This is one of the higher parts of the ceiling. My pictures of the unfinished spots were too dark.











This is the ceiling above the alter. It really looks majestic now.












Look at the finished product!! Very nice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice and you are to be commended for your support of the project - Now bring on the tourists (remember I just got back from world 'o' churches Euro tour)

stef said...

whew on the workout. So what kind of changes are you seeing from all this intensity?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

In addition to increased strength and definition (the two biggest things) it's translated a bit into my endurance during softball tournaments. It's all good thus far!

alexis said...

gorgeous church! Did you know that shade of blue used to be so expensive that it was reserved only for the most important people depicted in paintings? It's why Jesus and Mary are always wearing blue in pre-Renaissance paintings.