Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Off I Go to Myrtle!!

So today was a busy day, though technically it's not over yet. After being up late (til 1 or so), I was up at 7 and getting started on the day already. Part of the reason, of course, is my trip tomorrow. Since I have to leave so early, everything has to be packed up before bed.

But there were so many things to do: go to the bank, Block Buster (need movies for the plane), a 2 hour noon meeting with the Red Cross, my training session with Sadist Joel, getting keys to the neighbor, practicing my guitar (we're playing Walk The Line for our final class) and then packing.

In addition, my upstairs neighbor let me know that his buddy was going to come by this weekend to pick up some old bathroom fixtures to take to lower income housing for installation. I guess it's an upgrade to what they have, though I'm not sure if this guy does it for free or not, but I think he does. Anyway, I decided to take out my vanity and set it outside for him. The danger of course, revolves around dealing with plumbing. One screw up and I have a leaking pipe for four days while I'm gone. In retrospect, maybe not the brightest thing to do, but it went ok with just one quick call to Manual Labor Mike.






Here's where the vanity was.








This work I had done over the weekend. In order to remove the beams, I had to saw them in half and then take them out one half at a time. The beams left up have things attached to them which I wasn't up for removing yet. Another time!

I read in the Tribune a calculation of OBP (on base percentage). They say it's (hits+walks+HBP) divided by (at bats+walks+HBP+sac flies). This may be a bit technical for non-sporties, so forgive me, but what are sac flies doing in the denominator? They aren't an official at bat, so I guess they are making sure the hitter is penalized for them. It's interesting because we calculate OBP strictly by how many times you reach base divided by how many times you were up. No adjustments, errors are included on both sides, sac flies hurt you....it's really pure. I say that, in part, because sometimes errors are CAUSED by the hitter. You're a speedster down the line and the other team knows it and it causes them to boot the ball or throw it away. Or maybe you hit it really hard and skips off their glove. Plus there's no judgment in our figures. Were you up to bat? Did you get on base? That's all I want to know!!!

6 comments:

alexis said...

when is the estimated completion date for your bathroom, actually?

stef said...

That sounds like a cool service.

Anonymous said...

You knew I'd answer the OBP question, no?

You're correct that sacrifice flies (SFs) aren't counted as at bats (ABs), but keep in mind that you don't really want ABs; you want plate appearances (PAs). That's why you're also adding walks and HBPs to both sides of the equation.

As for errors, I disagree with you a bit, but just to be nitpicky. Yes, it's true that fielders rush throwns to get out speedy runners, but if the runner was speedy enough to reach base, it would be scored as a hit anyway. It's only an error if that's the only reason the runner reached base. In other words, it's an error if the runner would be out had not the throw gone awry. It's a subtle, but important point.

-dJF

Anonymous said...

What golf course are you going too, Kings North? Smoke a cigarro for me and have a safe trip.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I'd like to have a completion date Alexis, but I don't. I probably should! Up until now, it was still fully functioning, so it wasn't a big issue.

We're playing Burning Ridge, Black Bear, Crown Park and Indian Wells. Burning Ridge was nice!

Anonymous said...

Wow the work on the bathroom might almost be done before the year is out!