Monday, April 07, 2008

Working 'til 6 means there's less "me" time.

It's Monday and that means guitar lessons....as well as Joe further displaying his incompetence. As much as I'd love to move on in my guitar lessons to the next level, I just haven't been able to put in enough time practicing. With softball season, golf and dating, my guitar practice time will become less and less. It seems like a smart idea to practice more of what I've learned for 8 weeks than to move on and take on more info. Even today in class, the songs that I learned five weeks ago and have practiced at least a little, are a little more easy to play. I'd like to be able to get some strumming techniques down and even basically keeping a four count measure in my head! There's a lot to focus on: left hand hitting chords, right hand strumming, how many beats?, words to the song and then my eyes trying to figure out what the next chord to play actually is! It's not easy, but I'm going to stick with it.

Jesse Ventura is on The Colbert Report.....the guy strikes me as a nut job. Did he freak out at some point and I missed it? He's living in Mexico, appears to have no teeth and is growing long hair down the back of his head for some reason. Apparently he just wrote a book about starting a revolution. The guy seems a bit off to me. Has anyone else seen him recently?

5 comments:

alexis said...

I totally second the focus notion. Get down what you know now and you can move on later when you have a wife and don't have to try as hard to impress her. ;)

stef said...

I haven't seen Jesse Ventura lately, but now I am intrigued.

Anonymous said...

Guitar --

1. When I first started, I found the fretting more difficult than keeping time or strumming, so perhaps this is just me, but I would try to play slow as hell at first, keeping a pace just fast enough that you can skill change chords without starting and stopping.

2. Strumming-wise, if you get stuck just go down-up-down-up-down-up and forget about anything fancier for now. Save that for when you are more comfortable with the left hand.

3. Timing wise, the thing that really helps me is usually that I know the songs and their rhythm. Trust your gut. For now, nearly all of your songs are probably in 4/4 time, with all chord changes taking place on the first beat anyway.

4. Practice-wise, it's better to play every day even if it's only for 15 minutes. I know it's not easy (and I say this looking at my bass guitar that I haven't touched in 5 days), but if you can put in at least a minimal amount of time, it's much better for you than to set aside an hour on Sunday night.

5. Don't make any decisions on Guitar 1/1rep just yet. You have at least two weeks and a lot can happen in that time.

-dJF

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

The dude is a freak Stef. If they have the interview on youtube or something, check it out.

All good info dejesus freak. I need to make a call before classes fill up though. I try to practice as time allows, 5-30 minutes here or there. When I'm not home at all though, that makes it tough!!

Anonymous said...

Classes won't fill up for another week or two.