Thursday, November 30, 2006

If you weren't paying attention, you might think it's a 1940's spy novel.

The cold weather has arrived in Chicago, but not the snow....yet. It's supposed to be pretty nasty. Tomorrow I have a buddy flying in from Jersey to go to the Bears game with me and generally party all weekend. Should be plenty of stories to write about next week!

I'm sure you've heard of this ex-Russian spy, Alexander Litvinenko, who was a critic of Putin's, getting poisoned and then dieing just before Thanksgiving. Another prominent critic of Putin, journalist Anna Politkovskaya, was shot dead in Moscow in October and no one has been arrested in the killing. As if that wasn't enough to write a bad '40's set spy novel, an ex-Prime Minister of Russia, Yegor Gaider has seemingly been poisoned. However, he wasn't a critic of Putin's. Is poisoning coming back into vogue?

Fantasy football is winding down and yours truly is finally in first place in his own league. The league has been together for about four or five years, and I've never won it.....really not even close. So this year is quite a coup. This week is the last week before playoffs start and I'm pretty pumped. All the early season smack-talkers have taking a fall from grace and are oddly quiet now. Speak softly and carry a big stick.....that's what I say!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to carry something big, Joe. If a stick's all you got--well then I guess it'll have to do.

Anonymous said...

Is that all you got? And not enough courage to put your name? C'mon....

Anonymous said...

congrats on the fantasy league. That's my favorite Teddy Roosevelt quote and I agree- anonymous needs to try a little harder, that's way too obvious and overused.