Monday, November 13, 2006

Tuesday is "learning day"

In 1975, I was all of 9 years old and living near Detroit, outside of Flint, when the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. The church, The Maritime Cathedral, was near where we lived a few years prior when I lived in Detroit and I’m sure I would have heard the bells tolling for the dead from our house. In addition to Gordon Lightfoot’s song, there are many books about the wreck as well. Very much worth learning more about:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/13/fitzgerald.anniversary.ap/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Fitzgerald

And here’s the helpful hint of the day:

http://www.wikihow.com/Regain-Control-of-a-Spooked-Camel

I’m just here to make your life easier and, perhaps, a little more interesting.

5 comments:

alexis said...

there's something morbidly fascinating about ship wrecks. There's nothing like a behemoth of engineering going down like a rock to remind us of our own mortality.

On a side note, I'd like to share my word verification for today, which was really amusing: unbad. I may have to start using that.

Anonymous said...

We've visited the lighthouse / museum at whitefish point in the UP,where the E.F went down 15 miles off the coast. Awesome experience. Thanks for your efforts to ease my life and for being the fountain of knowledge that you are.

Anonymous said...

The History Channel has run an interesting documentary on the Edmund Fitzgerald sinking. I'm surprised they didn't run it this past week.

Anonymous said...

In a couple of weeks 18 700' to 1000' great lakes frieghter ships will be comming in to dock for the winter right outside my office window. i just marvel at their size and the traveling they've done. Joe you should come north some time.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Unbad! I like that, and you're right Alexis, shipwrecks are morbidly fascinating. Especially the largest ship on the lake at the time.

G Man, I'd love to come north, but it looks like I'll be heading to warmer weather as much as possible. Those ships do sound cool though! Hopefully it's an open invitation.....