Friday, November 17, 2006

Button, button, who's got the button?

First off, a moment of silence please for the passing of Milton Friedman, long-time influential economist who has impacted your life financially whether you realize it or not. He was not only a great economist, he was a great citizen and patriot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_friedman

A nice segue into my topic for today. If you watched The Colbert Report the other night (as I do every night), you may have caught a very quick reference to my blog subject, so I want to make sure I credit him for the idea. How many people signed the U.S. Declaration of Independence? 56.

Nobody should really know that, but some might.

But one thing you REALLY shouldn't know is that Button Gwinnett signed it. Yes, THE Button Gwinnett.

I know, I know, you're sitting back with your cup of coffee thinking, "Really? Ol'Button signed the Declaration of Independence? I thought he was just an English Reverend's son turn plantation owner in the U.S." Nope, he actually achieved some notoriety (and not just for invading Florida). In fact, according to Wikipedia, ol'Button's signature is one of the three most valuable signatures in the world (along with Shakespeare and freakin' Julius Caesar). Caesar for crap-sake!!! The Roman ruler who lived from 100 b.c. to 44 b.c. YES, B.C. That's 2000 years ago!! It's not like they had a ton of Bic pens laying around for people to use. And this Button freak's signature, who lived between 1735 and 1777 (a mere 230 years ago), and of whom you had no knowledge until you read this blog, is worth almost as much money! Unbelievable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_Gwinnett

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

RDF -- Really Damn Funny

alexis said...

that is unbelievable. No, literally. Are you sure that's not a load of crap someone just snuck in on wiki??

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

It certainly could be crap Alexis, no doubt. I'm not that into famous autographs to know. Maybe I'll do some digging over the holiday and see what I can find.