Saturday, November 18, 2006

Charity+wine+whiskey-food = a tough Saturday

My plans changed this weekend due to our wonderful airline system, so instead of being responsible and staying in on Friday, I decided to coerce my buddy Rich (whose wife was kind enough to acquiesce) into going to a charity wine tasting event with me. Sounds promising right?

Wellllll, the event was nice (business casual, but we had blazers on) and I'm sure much money was raised. They had silent auction items and Rich and I were bidding on all sorts of things including: autographs of Reggie Jackson and Tank Johnson (no not together!), a White Sox package, Cubs tickets, bottles of wine and a seven day rental of a ski lodge in Jackson Hole Wyoming that sleeps 6 (thought we were going to win that one, damn). It's amazing what a little wine will do to loosen up your wallet. Ok, a lot of wine.

And even more wine. And then some more. They had appetizers and even a little spread on a table, but nothing that would (or should) replace dinner, which both Rich and I neglected to eat. Not good. Fortunately, we were still in good shape.....until the after party (actually part of the charity event by the way) at La Passage. The unfortunate thing is that I don't really remember being there, so I had to have Rich fill in the details for me today.

Apparently, Rich went up and bought us Heineken's, which I really don't like. So back he went to buy a whiskey and Seven. Had I been sober at this point, I'm sure I wouldn't have mixed wine with whiskey, but clearly I was three-sheets-to-the-wind already. A couple of drinks later and it was time to go home.....at least that's what the security guy thought.

Next thing I know, it's 7 a.m., my radio alarm is going off, the lights in the hallway are on and the bathroom faucet's on. Not a pretty picture. All of my clothes were hung up though! Still not sure whether I took a cab home or the bus.......ouch.

5 comments:

alexis said...

man, sounds like a good weekend. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's made the wine-tasting misjudge.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I keep forgetting you are not my 18 year old brother anymore, way to toss a few back! Wow, the faucet on huh? Mum would be pissed!
HEY!!! IF I YELL, DOES YOUR HEAD HURT????

Anonymous said...

you're 40 years old Joe, drink like other people. But then again that was my daily routine, wasn't it. Thanks for the reminder to stay my course.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

C'mon now Bee, you know it's illegal to drink when you're 18. I was acting at least 24 since wine and whiskey were involved. That was pretty damn funny though shouting at me like that.

Ugh, just not happy with myself about that night. I only mention it here because it's my blog and it happened to me. Change will come of it I promise.

Anonymous said...

I like saturdays format better, maybe its the lighthouse background. Perhaps you need to attend a charity cheese tasting event. you won't be so moved to spend money, however you may have to buy more fiber.