Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Dream Police

It was the day after a long weekend and I was in college. My car had been stolen just before I left for the weekend, so I had to find an alternate way to and from home. Even though I had a motorcycle, it was a three hour drive on not the safest roads, so I hitched a ride with other college students as so often happens. That was behind me now though and I was late for Monday class. Had to get over to the motorcycle and get across campus. Unfortunately, the motorcycle wasn't where I left it. In fact, the motorcycle too had been stolen! Great. My dad's going to be really pissed now. I have to call the police and insurance company to file the paperwork. What kind of motorcycle was it again.......wait.....I don't know how to ride a motorcycle.....hell, I can't even drive a stick shift. But my motorcycle was stolen and I need to report it.....but I don't own a motorcycle......wait, is this a dream? Yep, wake up dumb ass. Can't you dream about something worthwhile?

A side note about someone we all lost: Maurice Graham. Don't worry, I didn't know him either, but he's a king! That's right, during his life, Maury was named King of the hoboes five times at the annual hobo convention in Britt, Iowa (which has a hobo museum by the way) and in 2004 he was named Grand Patriarch of hoboes. Maury started riding trains at the age of 14 in 1931 and didn't stop riding trains and living in hobo camps until 1980. Maybe you think this is kind of a silly thing, but there is no modern equivalent of the true hobo and I wonder if there ever will be again.

One last thing, since my fun evening plans fell through last night and since I didn't get invited to TomKat's wedding (another thing Oprah and I have in common), I rented MI-III. It was the first action movie that actually fast-forwarded through a good chunk of. Ugh. At the end though, Cruise stops his heart with electric shock and has his wife restart it with no significant side effects. Ok, fine, I was fast forwarding at this point, so it wasn't that long. Wait, how long was it? I went back and timed it, yes, this is the crazy shit that I do, and it was 2:35. That led me to the web to look up hypoxia, lack of oxygen to the brain. Apparently, you can go 5 minutes before brain cells start to die. Good news for us as real people, bad news that we may have to put up with another Cruise MI film.

3 comments:

alexis said...

tee hee hee. Curse you, Lakeview, I have work to do and now all I want to do is look up info on hobos.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Ha! Glad I could assist in your avoidance of work!!

Anonymous said...

You should check out the John Hodgman book (of the Apple commercials and Daily Show fame) -- in it, he's got 750 hobo names.

I think it's called "The Areas of My Expertise" and is pretty funny.