Friday, November 03, 2006

Riding that Sudoku wave

Being not one to catch the latest craze too quickly, except for that whole Miami Vice look in the 80's, the whole Sudoku thing seemed like a fad that was sure to burn out quickly. While still relatively new, it seems to have some staying power as you can find the number puzzles in just about every newspaper and all over the internet. For those not in the know, here's all there is to know on Sudoku: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku

In the Tribune, the difficulty of the puzzles are ranked 1 through 4 with 4 being the hardest. Anything past a 1 has been beyond me as I feign an effort to solve the puzzles before falling asleep and after reading the comics (a nightly event for me if you didn't know). The other night however I magically solved a level 2 puzzle! Unfortunately, I was pretty excited about solving it and that made it difficult to fall asleep. The solution to my dilemma? Start working on the crossword puzzle. Three across: "Start of Evan Esar quip"...........yawn.......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been hooked on Sudoku since last Christmas, when my sister gave me a puzzle book.

Bad move. To this day, one of the first things I do in the morning is go to the NYT site and do their Sudoku puzzles online. When I first started, I solved the "Easy" in 18 minutes, the "Medium" in 33, and the "Difficult" in 1 hour, 9 minutes.

Now my best are 4:10 for Easy, 5:40 for Medium, and 7:14 for Difficult (though I haven't set a record in a while and am usually not that quick).

There are a few tips I could give you, Joe, but perhaps you should figure them out for yourself.

Now crosswords are a different story. I can usually get about 70% of a Monday puzzle, but the ones later in the week baffle me completely.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Holy crap dejesus! That's pretty awesome. I've never timed myself, but I'm sure I'm not that fast. I feel the same about the crosswords, when I can stay awake....

Anonymous said...

Usually I do the Easy one in about 6-7 minutes, the Medium one in about 7-10, and the Difficult one in about 10-15.