Thursday, November 09, 2006

Rat Tales Basra: the epilogue


Some of you received my email story of my fight against the rats that moved under our front porch from our neighbor's yard. In the lengthy saga, 20 emails probably, I recount the daily battles, the heartache of soldiers lost (long live T-Rex and T-II!), the frustration of dealing with superior intelligence, the carnage of war and finally the jubilation of victory in a hard fought battle.

When we last left Rat Tales: Basra, T-Rex II was killed in the line of duty, fighting them over there (in the neighbors yard) so I wouldn't have to fight them again at home (just like Bush!). Well, two days ago the landscapers came back to the neighbors yard to clear out all the brush and flowers in Basra where T-Rex II was deployed. I never mentioned it, but I only ever found half of T-Rex II. It haunted my dreams to know that the other half of T-Rex II might be down one of the many rat holes in the area (never leave a man behind!!). After the landscapers came in though and raked up the dirt and debris, there was the other half of Rex. I buried him alongside his other half in a tomb fitting of the successful fighter he was.


But that's just part of the story. That was two days ago and there have been no new rat holes over there. All the dirt is still finely matted and there are no obvious exit holes. Odd. If they fail to show, then I'll have to assume that they've moved back to the bunker between our buildings where they all seemed to come from initially. Or my preferred belief, is that T-II, in one final death THWACK! killed the last rat left standing in the southern part of the yard (hence the Basra reference for those late to the game). Here's a picture of T-Rex.

In loving memory

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

gone but not forgotten, I'm sure! Rats, ugh... I don't envy you the problem.

Anonymous said...

We mourn with you for your dead soldiers Joe...truly a hero was buried today...

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

No doubt, he was a warrior.

Such are the problems of living in the city Alexis, as I'm sure you remember. If this happened in the burbs, some city department/neighborhood action committee would be on them like white on rice!! Here in the city, it's just another apartment building with rats.