Wednesday, November 01, 2006

"..smoking, burning and melting of parts...."

So much to write today. Let's see if I can get it all in one entry. Milwaukee Joe, your "Homeless Angelo" story will have to wait for a slower day.

As many of you know, I go to Starbucks every day, twice a day, religiously.....actually more than religiously because I've missed more than a few weeks of church (due to Bears games which I DO attend religiously). But I digress. So they've started randomly selecting customers (the cash register does it) and you get online and take this survey and they give you a free drink of your choice. Fine. I was selected twice, even better. So yesterday I get an envelope in the mail from Starbucks and I'm thinking, "Great, here comes the marketing crap." Nope. It's a letter saying the 8-cup Barista Aroma coffee maker that I purchased from them is defective and could result in "..smoking, burning and melting of parts...." Nice. Fortunately, as I said, I GO to Starbucks twice a day. Living alone, it doesn't make sense to use the coffee machine unless I have guests. The part that burns me is that the 12-cup model is fine. The solo cup model is fine. Even the black and white 8-cup models are fine. Only the stainless steel model, the one I purchased because it went soooo well with my kitchen, is defective. Thanks guys.

On a completely unrelated note, let's talk the Super Bowl. No, I'm not making my reservations for Miami.......yet. I looked in the Trib today and they had the teams ranked by some sort of "power ranking" methodology.....just someone's opinion no doubt. It appears clear to me that one of the teams who are 5-2 or better is going to win the Super Bowl. There are 9 teams that currently qualify in that category. So I'm thinking, if you put $20 down on each team, some will have bad odds (Bears, Colts, Patriots) which are probably....what....5-1 maybe? So if one of them wins it, you lose money ($180 spent, $100 won). Outside of those teams, the odds have to be better than 10-1 I'm thinking at this point in the season. If anyone has a bookie or is going to Vegas and can find that out, let me know.

That's it for today, busy work day.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I heart the Starbucks too. It's highly addictive, but provides a nice break in the day if you're looking for a distraction. You should buy some stock in the company, that way when you spend money with them, it's like you're paying yourself... I call this logic Kateonomics. It's why I'm in debt... Peace out player!

Anonymous said...

starbucks, not my favorite, but they are more than welcome when you end up stranded in some po-dunk town in the middle of nowhere.

Anonymous said...

The funny thing for me is that I prefer Dunkin Donuts coffee, but Starbucks iced coffee. Go figure.

Anyway, Joe, I'd be very surprised if they had 9 teams at 5-1 (or better). Heck, I'd be surprised if the 5th best team went off at those odds.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Oh, yee of little faith dejesus. Check out this website:
http://www.bodog.com/sports-betting/football-futures.jsp
Even the Patriots are still 6-1. The Colts and Bears don't make the 5-1 cut, but plenty others do. The Saints are 18-1!

Katie, many people have made a good chunk of money with "Katieonomics" type of thinking. It impacts how I buy stocks without a doubt!