Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I've seen the future of garage sales and it is The Family Dollar Store.

--Have you ever been into one of these places? It's not a Dollar Store, where everything is a dollar. No, this is just the crap store. Unbelievable. Some classic items:


  • Really cheap looking wrapping paper

  • Witch Hazel (16 oz, what the hell is this stuff anyway and why do I need 16 oz of it?)

  • Sweat pants, sweat shirts, sweat underwear and I think sweat-spaghetti, but I'm not sure

  • Jesus clock (wall mounted)

  • Jesus clock (mantle)

  • Jesus and Mary clock (wall mounted again)

  • Many, many copies of a DVD of Bela Lugosi versus The Brooklyn Gorilla (I swear, even I couldn't make this shit up)

I wandered in there while my car was being serviced....never again.

--Last night I went out to see my folks and my visiting aunt ($59 airfare one way!). My mom served up some Stuffed Green Pepper Soup. Really, really tasty stuff. Here's the recipe:


That last line is Boil and simmer for 30 minutes. That's it! Gawd is it good.

--Buy your tickets to Sweden everyone!! According to a report I heard on the radio, they (whoever they are) are building an ABBA museum in Stockholm to be finished in 2008. Sweet. I'm a huge ABBA fan and I'm not afraid to admit it......however, it doesn't help my street cred any.

--Does anyone remember the television series The Man From U.N.C.L.E. or The Prisoner? Came up in conversation yesterday. Good stuff, though I don't remember UNCLE as much as I do The Prisoner. When that rover started coming after him.....just chilling. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prisoner

--Many people ask me why all the links to Wikipedia and do I have some relationship with them. Nope, they are a legal not for profit entity which accepts donations and operates due to the support of several privately funded grants and donations from every day people. No ads on the site, but a wealth of information. I love them!!

--Finally, it's 60+ degrees and rainy in Chicago today. Tomorrow, mid 30's and snow. Ugh. Hello winter.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and whats up with that smell in the family dollar? I much prefer the Dollar General. It's like the Nordstrom of the trailer park.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but do you know the designation of the prisoner in the village where he is a prisoner? It is the same as a certain Star Trek Next Generation officer and no it isn't 7 of 9...I used to love watching Patrick McGoohan get away from there every week!

Anonymous said...

ooooops! My bad he was number 6! The bad man was number 1! thank you Wikpedia!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

LOL, very funny G-Man. Good stuff.

I didn't remember his number, but dad did. How weird is that? He can't remember yesterday and he remembers the dude was #6 and that the white balls were named Rovers. Too funny.