Wednesday, November 01, 2006

It's WHAT day again?

My buddy Rich called me yesterday (it's always good to talk to Rich) and asked about this charity event Thursday night (tonight) to which I had invited him and his wife (and many other people). I had absolutely no idea that the event was tonight or even what day of the week it was currently. That pretty much sums up how much I've been working. Far too much.....

I finished off my last cup of coffee last night (decaf because it was late) and went to throw out my well used Starbucks cup. The garbage can by my desk was full, so I went over to another, larger can across the room. Full too. Upstairs I went to the kitchen garbage can (I had to go up there anyway). Full. That's it!! Time to clean the house. That was the last straw. Empty this, pick up that, clean that surface, put that stuff away......on and on.

It's a little odd for me to have these fits since absolutely no one sees my place and I have a cleaning lady come in periodically. Hell, my coffee machine is probably going to burn the place down anyway. Even my neighbors can't look in because my blinds go up from the ledge instead of hanging down from the top of the window (maximum sunlight and privacy!). Well, whatever the reason, my home is relatively clutter-free once again....except for THAT room.

How do normal people know when it's time to clean (you neat freaks in Door County can't comment here....you know who you are!)? When your significant other requests it? Laundry requires it? The roaches tell you it's time?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Joe -- want to take out my trash while you're at it? It's piling up.

Anyway, as someone even more untidy than you, I can't really help you with your dilemma other than to say that my cleaning lady comes in regularly every other week, so things can never get *too* bad off. I'm working on it, though.

alexis said...

my strategy is to have periodic guests stay with you. That way you always have to clean before they come and realize what a total slob you actually are.

that being said, the kitchen must always be clean. It's a family thing, I think, located next to the cooking gene in my DNA.

Anonymous said...

Joe, Joe, Joe. How do normal people know when it's time? It's time when it has been exactly one week since the last time you cleaned! Ok, I got your subtle hint that I'm not normal. No surprise. I've been labeled as obsessive compulsive more than once in my life. Nothing a little therapy can't cure. My advice-let your cleaning lady handle the household chores. You get busy finding a new coffee maker!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You're right Alexis, the kitchen must always be clean. I adhere to that even WHILE I'm cooking. Talk about obsessive...

A nice segue into Tracy in Door County. Welcome Tracy! I don't believe for a second that you let the house go uncleaned for an entire week. Pshaw. Two, three days tops.

Good news, the cleaning lady is coming on Monday! I'll be grime free again.