Sunday, November 05, 2006

What do you do when the game blows?

....mostly you focus on what you're going to eat or drink back at the tailgate afterwards.....plus you tend to drink more during the game. Today's game was just brutal. You can read about it online though and I don't really want to rehash it.

The 10 people who were going to join me at the tailgate, quickly dropped to 6 as four of the guys had tickets to a buffet inside the stadium so they didn't partake in my fare. And what good fare it was! Passersby are normally pretty interested when they see I'm actually cooking breakfast instead of brats or burgers. But today they also took particular interest in my bacon-wrapped goodies and the guacamole. Of course my neighbors were offered samplings, but you can never tell if a passerby is a Bear's fan or a visiting team's fan in disguise. In my best Soup Nazi imitation, "No samples for you!"

One good thing about a poor performance (or a huge blowout) is that a lot of the tailgaters take off before the game is over. By about 4-4:30, you can start tossing the football around without drilling cars or other fans accidentally. I turned the grill over to the guy who brought steak sandwiches and instead ran patterns and threw passes in the lot. That lifted my spirits a bit as I haven't been able to get much exercise while I'm rehabbing some strained muscles in my leg.

Another long week of work in the forecast!

6 comments:

alexis said...

Usually I enjoy my weekends more when the week is hard - filled with good but challenging work. That's not the case for me now, but it used to be.

I can see why you tailgate, it sounds like a good time. Too bad about the football game in the middle or it'd be perfect.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of this years Steelers fans...you cry, beg, plead and finally pray that it will just end...

Anonymous said...

I knew the game was pretty much over when I realized that on every offensive play, I wasn't hoping that the Bears would get a big gain -- I was hoping they wouldn't turn the ball over. Ick.

Considering all his lousy judgments and altogether poor fundamentals (winging it off his back foot and the like), I'm not at all convinced Rex is a good QB. I am convinced that neither Griese nor Orton is, though, so I suppose they have little choice.

Then again, it's awfully tough to have a sentence including the words "Bears" and "quarterback" without also including the word "suck."

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

The tailgate is indeed a good time....though maybe a little too much food and drink. Is that possible Alexis?

Bee, at least you have last year to remember!!

And it's funny that you were thinking that dejesus, because we were in the stands ACTUALLY saying it. "Two yards.....well, at least he didn't fumble." What a crock.

Anonymous said...

Couple of things. One, Joe your 39 years old, clean your house like other people. Second, I'm a Bear fan stuck up hear in Packer country, can you imagine the hell I endured at work this morning. Yeah the packers lost too, but they beat Miami.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

First of all G, I KNOW you don't clean your house, so shut your trap! Tracy does all that....mostly because she can't control herself. :-)

Second, I'm 40!! I thought we were the same age.....or has senility set in and you've forgotten how old you are?

Finally, I do not envy you going into work this morning. I was laying low and there isn't a Packers fan within an hours drive of me. Yeesh. That must have been brutal.