Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I finally have "THAT" sweater

Pretty much most of my life, I haven't exactly been a clothes model. Until about 10-12 years ago, pretty much whatever I threw on was going to be it for the day. Now, you'll see pictures from before then and from the last decade and I'm dressed nicely, but those were picture events (weddings, holiday party) and anyone can get dressed up for one of those. Throw on a suit and tie and least you don't look ragged.

Something changed though, not entirely sure what event triggered it, and I started to care more about my day-to-day clothes and appearance. Suddenly I'd find myself shopping at Nordstrom's or Marshall Fields and considering buying nicer, more expensive clothes. Nothing too noteworthy for a blog though huh?

Well, I recently went shopping on Michigan Avenue and stopped in at an old and new favorite store, Eddie Bauer. They've gone through some changes there and actually have some pretty nice clothes. Immediately upon entering the store, my eyes were drawn to a sweater sitting on a table. Relatively simple: crew neck, light blue, 4-5 horizontal stripes crossing the chest varying from white to gray to black. Perfect for me to wear with turtlenecks. Great. But these things never look as good on you as they do on the mannequin. Never. Except once in a while, you'll find something that just looks awesome on you, like it was made just for you. As it turns out this sweater was THAT sweater. Couldn't be happier. My closet has about 25 sweaters in it and this year, I'll be lucky to wear half of them. Especially now that I have this one.

Ok, time for learning Tuesday:
I was reading the paper and since the Sudoku was a level 3 and the main clue in the crossword puzzle was "Olin Miller quote"(seriously, who the hell is this guy? I found one freakin' quote attributed to him! Hardly justifies a crossword clue.), I decided to actually read some of the articles before going to bed.

There was an article on Papua New Guinea and how they want to attract tourists. It's worth checking out some info on this group of islands in far eastern Indonesia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papua_new_guinea
The thing that jumped out at me was that they have 582 airports! They only have 5.6 million people and it's been called one of the least visited tourist spots in the world. So tell me, if they don't have that many people and no one goes there and unemployment in urban areas reaches 80% (wow!), why the hell do they need all of those airports? And why doesn't some of that 80% move their asses over to one of the airports and get a job?

7 comments:

alexis said...

I need to stop being a cheap-ass, then I too will probably have more perfect sweater experiences. Oh, and can we get a picture please?

Anonymous said...

I was just reflecting on your last several blogs, reminds me of a sienfeld episode. Let's see... His house is clean, he lives alone, and he dresses neat...HHmmmm

Anonymous said...

One suspects that many of those "airport" are merely strips of land cut out of the jungle.

Now if only the "buy-up" syndrome will transfer itself to wine!

TheQueens_Hubby said...

I would tend to believe that the inordinate amount of "airports" (like el supremo stated - dirt landing strips) is due to the high amount of "Black Market" activity (pick a vice) originating from PNG.

LVC-Joe, are you heading down to PNG for the holidays? lol

Seriously, I want everybody on this blog to have a safe and thankful turkey day.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Peeeetttteeee! I didn't know you were reading. Sweet. Have a great Turkey Day. You guys making Gumbo down there?

Yep, most of them I'm sure are airstrips, but still pretty cool, huh?

There is no doubt that there is a high correalation between clothes that fit well, look nice and the price. Now it's more important to me to get something like this sweater, than to save a few bucks. Of course, I have a closet full of clothes that contradict that statement, but I'm making progress! We'll see about the pics Alexis....I don't recall seeing many pics of you up on your blog!

G-man, the facts don't look good for me do they? You didn't even mention the "living in boystown" issue either. Shit. I have to move and get sloppy. This is killing my street cred.

Anonymous said...

Very late to the party, but my guess is that the "airports" are largely relics from the WW2 era.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

No doubt some of them are dejesus, but they added 10 more in 2005, so they continue to make more! Just an odd amount for such a small place.