Friday, December 01, 2006

Heart attack snow!!

You've all heard that term I'm sure. It's wet, heavy snow and a lot of it. That's what we had in Chicago overnight. There was probably 2-3 inches on the ground, nowhere near the 4-12 inches they were predicting. Fortunately, all I had to do was clean my car off. :-) Unfortunately, my buddy flying in from NJ for the Bears game, changed his flight from arriving at 2:15 to the one arriving at 8:30. The original flight landed at 3. His later flight is now looking at being 3 hours late. Isn't that the way?

Just looked at the calendar on the wall and between 12/6 and 12/23, there aren't two nights in a row where I don't have some kind of party or event going on. If I weren't writing this blog, I'd just say "See you on the other side!", but I'll be in touch as usual.

As you're preparing to be all materialistic about Christmas, don't you think if you give a gift, it should be more about the effort put into the gift than the value of the gift card you buy? I firmly believe it, but some people look at me like I have three heads when I say that. It's almost like getting a gift from a little kid; that macaroni picture frame is much more valuable than the $25 gift card to Home Depot. The wife of one of my friends doesn't want him to try and buy her clothes for Christmas. Now what would be better if he went out, spent time trying to figure out an outfit that she would like, know the sizes she wears and then wrap something up? Is a mall gift certificate or a piece of jewelry better? Of course if it's a big diamond-anything it's better, but I'm talking comparative pricing here! Anyway, this year, give a little more thought to your gifts if you're going to spend money. Food for thought.

3 comments:

alexis said...

I'm fine with shopping for my loved ones, but I feel firmly that they need to give you a hint about what they want.

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you are gonna find the Steelers Mittens/gloves that I have asked for for Christmas? :)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I make no promises about gifts!

And you're right Alexis, buying gifts is fine, but random gift cards without thought, even if they want them, just doesn't seem right!