Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Happy New Year.....unless you're a Bears fan.

An odd, but relevant title. This morning the NFL moved the Bears/Packers game on New Year's Eve from noon to 7:30 pm!! If you do the math, going to the game means either: leave early to get home by midnight, celebrate in the car in traffic, or ring in the new year in the parking lot outside the stadium. There's a very outside chance of making it home in time to head back out somewhere, but it's not bloody likely. The NFL really screwed us. The game means nothing to the Bears and the Packers only have a remote chance of making the playoffs, so why move this game? Ugh. I had three parties to figure out how to attend and now I have another problem thrown into the mix. Crap.

Apparently the registration process on the site is a little more time consuming than I thought, so I've taken out that requirement to post comments. Fire away!

Two somewhat funny stories came out of the Sutton household on Christmas. First, my seven year old niece got a Nintendo something or other from Santa and was already playing with it when she arrived at her grandparents house. What she was playing with was an electronic dog program. So you have to do everything with this dog that you would have to do with a real dog: pet it, feed it, get it to learn it's name, etc. The last item was my point of humor: getting an electronic dog to learn its name. I guess there's a microphone in the game and a voice recognition program because you actually have to say the dogs name like a million times apparently to get it to learn. So all day my niece was walking saying, "Rose............Rose...........Rose...............Rose.........." ARRRRRGGHHHHHHHH!

The other humorous moment was not actually humorous to me at all, or my eldest sister. I'm not sure how you all open gifts on Christmas morn', but we usually have one person distribute all the gifts they bought and then the recipients open them one at a time. When it came to my turn to distribute my gifts, I did and then they were each opened as planned. However, when it came to my eldest sister, she said, "You didn't give me one." UUGGGGHHHH! What did I do? Did I leave it at home? Is it in the car? I don't remember wrapping a gift for her. What was I supposed to get her? Did I get it? Where did I go? Where's the @$#@%#@@ present?!?!?!? She was very calm about though and said, "Well, when you get it you can send it on to me." Finally, my mother leaned over and whispered to me reminding me that I went in with my parents on her gift, a very nice and expensive camera. Since all I had to do was write the check, I totally forgot about it! Everyone else in the room, except my sister, knew what I had given her though, but they just wanted to see me sweat. Nice family on Christmas huh? :-) It's all good though. I would have done the same thing.

Happy Boxing Day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 partys and the Bears have homefield throughout the playoffs! You have a lot of problems ;)

Anonymous said...

What were they thinking? How much is that going to cost for extra police and security? Lets see its New Years Eve, Packer Bear game, yeah lets play it at night. what about the lost revenue by local bars and restaurants?
Loved the gift story.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Thanks G-man. Hope you had a great Christmas.

And Ken from Jersey, stop posting anonymously you bastard! I will fly out there and kick your ass!

alexis said...

I just want to record that while I didn't watch any football on vacation, I did see the movie Invincible on the flight back. That's gotta count for something, right?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Even though you were confined on a plane and had no alternative means of entertainment (except sleep), I'll give you credit. It was supposed to be a pretty good movie, but I haven't seen it yet.

Anonymous said...

...For the record, I didn't say anything at first, you noticed I hadn't gotten one and at that moment began a sea of colors on your face such as has never been seen before...Rose...Rose...Rose...I hear it in my dreams...