Saturday, December 09, 2006

Lunch with dejesus......freak

Yes, I had lunch with a poster yesterday. Is that allowed? Can I be sued for sexual harassment? Clearly not as dejesus freak is one of my buddies who lives around the corner from me. We went to my favorite little Jewish deli, The Bagel. Good eating as always. We even had my favorite waiter, whose name I still don't know. Bad Joe.

One thing dejesus freak asked me, early on in fact, was "How do you come up with interesting, well not really interesting, but at least a topic to write about every day?" He almost complimented me there, but not quite. It is interesting though, when you write everyday like this, you start to think about things you can write about as they happen to you and then actually look forward to trying to make it interesting....or funny.....or to convey a potential tidbit of knowledge.

dejesus freak and I haven't spoken in some time, before Thanksgiving, so one of the topics was relationships we've been in since we've seen each other last. On my end, we revisited my trip to see Lonestar, that's the young lady's screen name, and the subsequent events. The conversation led me to make contact with Lonestar again, which was nice.

On a completely different topic, today I returned to the softball field! After a two month layoff due to a pulled hamstring, groin and strained hip flexor, I was able to hit and run again finally. The physical therapy has paid off! I hit leadoff and went 5-5. At third base, I was able to move pretty well and made the final out by cutting in front of the shortstop in the hole and threw out the runner at first. The coach gave me the game ball! Seems silly, and it sort of is, but everyone was happy to see me back on the field again. After the game we had some drinks in the bar with some or our female fans which was good too!! An all around pretty good night.

Another victory today for me was buying a Christmas tree! As I have done some times in the past, I went to Menards and bought one of their trees for about $20. Seems simple enough and today it was, but the last time I went there the guy working the tree lot actually had only one hand. Now, I'm all for hiring the handicapped in any capacity, but are you telling me that this was the best position for someone who needs to use a hand saw to cut the base off the tree? The dude didn't even have a chainsaw! He was literally using a regular hand saw to cut the stumps off of these trees, then would help some people load their trees in or on their car. Think about this guy cutting stumps and doing this like 50-60 times a day. Unbelievable. I assumed that no one else was working and this poor guy had to do it, but no, I went into the store and there were a bunch of employees just standing around staying warm inside. Didn't seem to make much sense to me. Today was a different story though: two guys, two hands each and using chainsaws. Went like clockwork. Maybe tomorrow I'll post a picture of my little tree!

Bears are playing on Monday night, so enjoy the other games that are on Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You knew that waiter? I thought you were just being your usual playful/semi-obnoxious self. It was particularly funny when he came up to us and asked how we were doing and you responded by saying "a lot better until you showed up!"

BTW, seeing that I try to write a blog about the Cubs on a semi-regular basis, I know how difficult it is to come up with fresh material on a regular basis. My question was definitely intended as a compliment.

Also, where were you able to find a softball game in the 40 degree weather and the ground still covered with snow and melting ice? How did you find anyone else who wanted to play?

Anyway, thanks for the lunch. I'm not going to let us go that long without getting together again.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Ahhh, the beauty of dome softball. I'm actually in a league out in Bolingbrook on Saturday nights, but haven't been able to play because of the leg. It's actually not too bad, though anything off the dome is in play....which makes it tough.