Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Day One of the Marathon: From Sweats to Suit

Today was the first day of my marathon of events that extends the next 17 days....sort of an elongated Chanukah. It started off however, in a suit and tie. Yes, I do own several suits and a multitude of ties, however I realized that I don't own many plain, white shirts. Another thing for the Christmas list Bee!

My buddy "R" and I met at the office and went to see three economists from the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business speak about 2007 and beyond. Most of you probably are thinking....snore....but I have to tell you, it was pretty interesting stuff. They were not only three of the more dynamic economists I've ever heard speak, but two of them would have been at home in a night club. Good stuff.

For instance, one guy made predictions about who was going to die in 2007. Last year he did the same thing and was wrong on all accounts. This year he chose the leaders of these countries, for various reasons, as the most likely candidates to not see 2008: Nepal (reasonable given the coup), Malaysia, the Monarch of Thailand and the king of Saudia Arabia and the crown prince (for the second year in a row by the way). See? That's fun!

After our economics lesson and death notice, we went back to the office to get some work done before the first of my events. R was supposed to go with me, but he's had the plague since Friday and is still not feeling well. So I was on my own, which meant a prime opportunity to NOT get out of control. The law firm's event was held at the very swank Standard Club in the south Loop. Even my valet was paid for! Sweet. The appetizers were great: shrimp toast, artichokes in a little bread cup of some sort, smoked salmon and capers on bread, chicken wrapped in something and fried, oh and sushi. All good stuff. The main food items were things like: pasta, carved beef, salmon inside something, aw, hell, I don't know. There was a lot of good food.

I ate plenty and only had two drinks (a rum and coke and a Jameson and gingerale). Not bad for two hours. Two of the three lawyers that I knew there were very accomodating with their time and we had fun catching up on each other's businesses. The one guy and I have known each other for about 12 years, so it's always good to see him.

After some good food, conversation and just two drinks, I decided to call it a night and was home by 7 or so. Not bad for day one. Tomorrow: a large consulting and valuation firm is having their party. One of my other buddies is joining me, so it could prove to be a bit more dangerous. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Break a leg, my brother!!! Hey I never thought of Jameson/gingerale..huh...I usually take mine straight up. something new to try =)

Anonymous said...

So why didn't you add the part about standing me up last night?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I didn't mention it because I don't think I remembered that I stood you up when I was writing it!! That's how bad my memory is. Ugh. Friday my man or Saturday at Trader Todd's? Email me.

alexis said...

fried chicken and sushi - some party!