Friday, December 22, 2006

The mall isn't sooooo bad

The Friday before Christmas and the last place you want to be is......work, but the second to last place you want to be is the mall. Well, that's right where my buddy Rich and I found ourselves. Now, all of my shopping is done so why exactly would I be at a mall on the Friday before Christmas? Here's the story:

Yesterday I gave Rich written, cryptic instructions about how we were spending the day today. Simply, they said: "Be in your car at 9 and take I-90 west. When you get to 290/53, promptly call my cell phone." That was pretty much it. At the time, my thought was that I was going to be at our destination by the time he got out there and I would just give him directions. However, due to drinking Thursday night with my gay friend from LA (and several straight women!), I was running a little late.

So, as it turned out, luckily, when Rich called to tell me he was at 290/53, I was right next to him in my car!! He calls as directed and says, "Okay Sutton, what do I do now?" "Look to your left Rich", I say, ".....No, immediately to your left." Scene of Joe waving to Rich while we're going 70 mph's on I-90. "How did you do that?" Rich exclaimed. "Because I'm goooooood. Now follow me." I responded.

Too funny. The great Christmas gift that I was excited about in my 12/14 entry was indeed for Rich and his wife, so the rest of you can finally exhale. The gift was a remote car starter and installation! To me, these types of gifts are awesome: something really useful that makes your life better, but that you wouldn't necessarily buy for yourself.

While one car was being worked on, Rich and I went to Woodfield Mall and went shopping for a few gifts for his wife and generally people watched (my shopping was done) Since each car was going to take about 3 hours, we spent the whole day at the mall. It was fine though. Even on the Friday before Christmas, malls really aren't that bad, if you don't actually have to buy anything.

2 comments:

alexis said...

wow, how's that for awesome timing?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

A stroke of luck, no doubt, but I was trying to make it happen after I realized how late I was. I think I was doing 80 during one stretch!