Monday, December 04, 2006

Broiling versus.....just being stupid

As it's a learning Tuesday, or will be when most people read this, I just wanted to let everyone know that not all pans do well with broiling. Joe-the-cromagnon-chef thinks, "Umph, cookie sheet good. Broil pork chops on cookie sheet. Good. Umph." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromagnon Yeah, it didn't really turn out all that well as you can imagine. The pork chops were fine, but they were the only thing emerging from the oven unscathed. So now my cookie sheet is screwed up....just in time for the holidays. Crap. Well, another lesson learned: use the broiling pan when broiling. "Idiot."---Napolean Dynamite

The topic of the day on Wikipedia is Down Syndrome. Unfortunately, I know several people who have children with Down Syndrome and still I was surprised to see that it afflicts every 1-800 to 1-1000 births. That's pretty frequently. Look at that graph in the middle of the page showing the risk of incidence of Down Syndrome related to maternal age at birth. Wow. Powerful stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_syndrome

Okay, sports rant here. Feel free to ignore.
The Bears currently have a two game lead in the conference for the #1 seed. The are 8-0 in the conference with four games to play. Four games.....if they blow this and don't retain the #1 seed, I'd have to vote for Lovie Smith for worst coach of the year. If such an award doesn't exist, I'll have to start one. Lacking evidence to the contrary, such as interference by the GM (Angelo), I'd put the blame squarely on Lovie's shoulders. One more bad game by Rex and there's no reason to not start Griese, just to see what he can do. I mean, hell, he can't do worse! Seriously, you can't be worse than Grossman was yesterday. Brutal.

Okay, the rant is over.

At least 5 more shorehouse references today before I got my buddy from Jersey on his plane home. He's a great guy and I enjoyed having him over. He bought me a Tommie Harris (#91) jersey as a thank you for having him in town. Guess who sprained their knee on Sunday? Yep, Tommie Harris. Just my luck. A nice gesture by Jersey guy! Get it? Jersey guy bought me a jersey? Ha! I crack myself up.

It was even colder here today than it was yesterday! After the game, I really didn't think I would say, "Wow, we got lucky with the weather." But that's exactly what I said this morning when the wind chill was zero degrees instead of 7. I need to go somewhere warm..........

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe -- That unusual shaped object you might have in your broiler? The one that looks like some sort of pan? It has a purpose.

As for Griese, it's not like he's any long-term solution and he certainly doesn't need a bunch of seasoning to ready himself for the playoffs. I'd like to see Rex get at least 2-3 games to try to turn himself around before thinking of making a change.

alexis said...

it is windy as hell here, but it's also around 40 degrees. Luckily since I didn't bike to work today, I can call that good weather today.

Broiling. hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

I woke up to 7 deg (-3WC) with 6" of snow on the ground, I'm getting too old for this climate. Bears- I do like Lovie's resolve to stick with his plan, I recall a few years back when there was a different QB each game-sometimes 3 in same game.

Anonymous said...

On the pork chop episode. you are surrounded by the best eating establishments in the country, put the cookie sheet down and back away from the oven!

Anonymous said...

sweeet!!! note to self, new cookie tray's for Joe for Christmas...

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

One little cooking incident and you want me to give up? Never!!

I think the problem is I grill so much that I have my broiling pan in the pantry. Have to take it out for the winter months.

G-Man, you live in BFE Wisconsin, you have to expect cold weather and snow. C'mon!

40 degrees Alexis? I would kill for that right now.

dejesus, I'll go two more games tops for Grossman. Give Griese at least two games of snaps just to get used to it again. It'll be Detroit and Green Bay. Hell, even I could have success against those clowns. Griese, I think, is the answer for right now. Deal with next year in free agency.

Anonymous said...

If folks only need a game's worth of play in the preseason, why would a veteran like Griese need more than that?

I just think that if Rex rebounds to the way he was earlier this year, he's a helluva lot better than Griese, and he ought to have every conceivable chance to do it.