Friday, December 15, 2006

Day 10 of the marathon and am I a player?

Yes, it's day ten of the socializing marathon and the next three days should prove to be some of the toughest. Tonight is a party in the 'burbs with two clients at one of their houses followed by another party in the 'burbs tomorrow with childhood friends. If I survive all of that, I have the Bears game on Sunday with mild weather and what should be a strong tailgate.

The other night, at one of the marathon events, I was accused by a woman half-in-the-bag of being a "player"! Me? Really? Should I be happy or pissed? Obviously the six year marriage and two four year relationships unknowingly qualify me for "player" status. Now, at first, I looked at it positively and as a compliment of sorts....sort of puffed my chest out a bit, ya know. But then, I thought about it a bit and quickly moved to the insulted realm. At no point in the past have I ever thought like I believe players think, especially about women. If I found a woman tomorrow that I was into and that was into me, monogamy here I come!! That doesn't seem like a player's thought....does it?

Who recognizes this movie quote? "You look like a man-o-lantern." A very, very funny relatively recent movie.

And finally, in the "boy don't you feel old" category, on this date in 1994, the web browser Netscape Navigator 1.0 was first released. Holy crap! At that time, I think I was still wondering if the whole "internet" thing was just a flash in the pan or here to stay. I actually had a robust discussion with someone about it! Another instance of me being completely wrong. Won't be the last time, sadly.

Oh, picture of the day, which has been delayed about a week. Couldn't NOT post this picture:



Good ol'Rip Torn after his DUI.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not a player, Joe; you're just very outgoing and social. You're also pretty playful at times and perhaps she was making the wrong assumptions.

As for me, I'm not entirely sure I knew what the Internet was in 1994. I don't think I took to it until 1995 or '96. So it shouldn't surprise you that you're more on the cutting edge than me.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I appreciate the support dejesus! Based on other people I've talked to, your opinion seems to be right. I'm not a player!!