Thursday, December 14, 2006

Gifts and boxes

The catalogue count is up three more to 27! Nordstroms and Williams Sonoma sent another catalogue yesterday and Fresh Seafood sent their first of the season. Three more baby!! Three more!!

My mother, God bless her, accumulates many things: teapots, books, buttons, plastic bags and boxes just to name a few. The last of these causes constant consternation with my father and was always a source of humor growing up. But once again I find that good ol'mom isn't as crazy as one might first think. Last year for Christmas, I actually had to go out and BUY boxes for one of the few times in my life in order to wrap gifts. Again this year I find myself in need of at least a few boxes and I have none. Sure, I know mother knows best, but do I have to constantly prove the saying?

Every few years, or possibly longer, I come up with a really GREAT gift idea. Now this kind of sucks for you guys reading because I can't tell you what it is this year until after Christmas, but I have an awesome gift for someone this year. Has that ever happened to you where you just get completely jacked about getting a particular gift for a particular person? Let me, and the other readers know.

A few years ago, I came up with a really great gift idea for my dad. He had about half of the set of 1949 Bowman baseball cards that he had collected as a 13 year old kid. Really big names in that set: Stan Musial, Warren Spahn, Duke Snyder, Satchell Paige and Jackie Robinson just to name a few. Anyway, in the '70's while he was working two jobs and taking college classes and my mom was working the third shift in the accounting office at the A & P, they needed the money and sold these cards (about 100 of them) for $1 a piece (actually a fair price at the time probably). My mom had made a list of those cards in order to help sell them. I found that list several years ago. Over the next 18 months, I proceeded to find and buy each and every one of those cards my dad had sold and gave them to him for Christmas. Probably the best gift I've ever given anyone just due to the sheer amount of work involved.

I'd like to hear what your favorite gift, given or received, has been. I couldn't answer what the best gift received was, but the story above is the best gift I've ever given.

4 comments:

alexis said...

wow, I need to get on your gift list. The best and only gift I remember getting was a giant stuffed animal in the shape of a unicorn. I think I was 6 or something.

Anonymous said...

OMG, I didn't know...I am crying as I write this, you da man, lil' brother! I just thought it was a guys with baseball cards thing...I think the best gift I will give this year isn't the most expensive one I will ever give, but I think it will mean a lot to this person, because I took the time to find it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful light show in the sky early last evening.
Best gift was to my father, He grew up in Chicago, huge Sox fan. i got him one of the bricks from Comiskey park when they tore it down along with a commemerative book, doesn't sound like much but it really touched him.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Move back to this side of the pond Alexis, and I'll put you on the list! A big stuffed unicorn, how cute.

Bee, didn't it tip you off when both dad and I were tearing up? Now you know the REST of the story.

To both bee and G-man, you guys have supported my point: it's not about the money or the gift per se, it's the effort and thought that matters. That's why I think women should appreciate it if their significant other tries to shop for them!