Saturday, December 23, 2006

'Twas two days before Christmas and all through the house....

....nobody was home because it was my dad's 70th birthday and we were taking him out to a late lunch (either linner or dunch) and then I had my softball game out in the burbs plus our softball Christmas party afterwards. So if anything is stirring my house, call the freakin' cops!!

Eddie Bauer came through for me yesterday with my 30th catalogue of the Christmas season!! Whoo-hooo! I hit 30! It's like Jerry Lewis' telethon; next year I want to get 31.

Another bit of good news, my last gift arrived via the United States Post Office today. A huge sigh of relief from yours truly. However, it made me think that maybe the gifts that person was receiving from me were a little light anyway. I might have to throw in a nice dinner to compensate; I'm sure they won't mind.

Last night I was out at a bar, Jack's, with my buddy Rich and his friend Bill (whom I also know fairly well). We were having a light dinner before they went to see a band play and before I was set to return home to get some much needed sleep. Before leaving however, we noticed a cute young lady sitting alone at the bar. Now normally I wouldn't do anything about the situation, but she'd been there for about 45 minutes all by herself in a fairly empty bar. So at the urging of Rich and Bill, when they left, I went over to the bar near her.

After some failed attempts on my part at polite conversation and another 15 minutes of her sitting alone (I was talking to the bartender whom I had befriended the night before), she finally decided that I was harmless enough and we had a very pleasant conversation. She was waiting for an old college friend (a guy) who was very late. She grew up in Laporte Indiana and went to both Purdue and Indiana University. Her father was a cattle farmer and she wanted to get out of the small town so she moved to Chicago. After working with a family run non-profit for six years, she decided to move into the corporate world and started a new job two weeks ago. Unfortunately, she already hated her job (after 2 weeks!) and corporate America to boot. I counseled her to give it a few months at least before giving up, especially if she didn't know what she really wanted to do.

About this time her friend called to say he was finally close by, so I bid her adieu, after telling her it would make her friend feel worse if she was sitting all alone when he walked in.....thought she could milk the guilt a bit. I went to shake her hand and much to my surprise she shook my hand, but then gave me a nice kiss! How 'bout that?! Now, if I were a player, I would have asked for her number I guess, but I'm either not a player or just stupid and left without it. Coffee's for closers right? Oh well.

No comments: