Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Productive Day

Hello my vigilant readers. I apologize for not posting yesterday; there just was not enough time to accomplish everything on my list yesterday. The 27th, for me, is Boxing Day where I return gifts and then buy more stuff....so it can be a very productive day. Yesterday was no exception.

It started off innocuously enough with responding to emails and making a list of what I needed to do: stop by church to drop some stuff off, go to Cost Plus World Market to look at chairs, go to Home Depot to look at vanities and hit Target....a full day by any measure. Since I was buying furniture and fixtures (and because I enjoy her company) I asked my ex-girlfriend to accompany me. We had lunch first and then started the shopping marathon. It all went fairly well actually as the chairs I had already picked out matched my new table (which was confirmed by the ex) and the vanity set was actually stylish and would work well in my small guest bathroom. The rest of the trip went exceedingly well (including two trips home to drop off the six chairs and new vanity set), so to celebrate we rented a movie and I bought sushi for dinner. The ex even helped me put the chairs together (very sturdy chairs with 11 bolts each!).

Over the holidays I heard a disturbing story about a town in Texas that is being terrorized by a rapist. The twist is the guy is raping other guys!! In TEXAS!!! Yikes. Turns out, according to the Justice Department, 1 in 33 men are victims of rape or attempted rape, while 1 in 6 women are victims of the same. First, that's 3% of the men and 16% of women....and both numbers are probably low because the victims fail to report the crimes. So what, 5% of guys are raped? Where the hell is the education in our schools about that? Holy crap, I didn't my ass was in such high demand.

A follow up to Christmas at The Sutton's. During dinner, my niece decided she was done eating and wanted to go play. My youngest sister, and my niece's mom, said,"You haven't even touched your turkey!" Without missing a beat or saying anything, my niece calmly placed her finger on the turkey on her plate and walked away. Ugh, that one's going to be trouble. It reminded me of a story of when I was 5 (back in 1971) and I was sitting in front of a half plate of food with a full stomach. My father said, "Eat your food. There are kids starving in China." I replied, "Name three." What do you do in that situation? As a parent, your bluff has been called. You're done. All you can do is laugh and let the kid go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dinner table rebels. I tried that once, ONCE!!
Joe how would you like to go into business together. I've got a great idea for a male chastity belt. Wow, reminds me of a little story in the bible of a tale of two cities where this was going on. God's going to pull the plug on this dog and pony show here pretty quick.

alexis said...

I think this is where the parent pulls out the "do what I said because I said so" trump card.

Anonymous said...

Back in those days, I always wondered if somehow my parents could airmail my brussels sprouts to Africa or wherever. I never got a good answer to the question and occasionally had to sit at the dinner table staring at cold brussels sprouts while my parents did the dishes and went on their less than merry way.

I hate brussels sprouts.

Anyway, I hope you all had a great Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I'm not actually sure my parents let me get away with my comment, but they had no problems with my niece's. Hypocrites!!

G-Man, I LOVE the idea! Tell you what, any guy going to Texas better think about it! Yikes.

dejesus, I had many of those nights with lima beans and hate them to this day. Why do parents do that? They were kids once so they know how traumatic these events are don't they? A lesson for us all!!