Thursday, March 31, 2011

Grammar problem for the day.

Here's something that bugs me: the use of Yay, Yeah and Yea. People just don't get it. So here's the primer for you:

yay- exclamation of approval, cheer

Yay! My team won.

yea- affirmative response usually only used when voting, sounds like “yay”

How do you vote? I vote “yea”. (so like yea or nay)

yeah- yes

Yeah, I got my homework done.

This gets confusing because “yay” and “yea” sound the same but have different meanings.


So that's my lesson for the day.

4 comments:

terri said...

Thank you!

Bugs me to death when people write "ya" instead of "yeah."

My other grammatical pet peeve is when people write "yanno" for "ya know".

Bee said...

I unno whut yer prob iz dude...LOLZ
;)

Dad said...

Yea - Yeah I agree. Yay

You have too much time on your hands :)

alexis said...

I never realized there was an official ruling on how you spell those, so from me anyways, many thanks!