Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Crab People!!

Everyone has read about the tragedy over in Japan: bodies washing up on shore, total devastation, nuclear reactors near melt down. It's about this last topic that I wanted to write a bit. The Japanese government has told residence within a 12 mile radius (I think that's the right distance) of one of the reactors to "stay inside" due to high radioactive levels. Now, if the U.S. government or the State of Illinois tells me to stay inside due to radioactivity for whatever reason, the first thing I'm doing is getting in my car and getting the hell out of here. Doesn't matter where I go, just outside the radiation zone. Is that crazy of me??

This weekend I'm heading to Cincinnati for a softball tournament which I've vowed in the past I would never play. My reasoning has been that the weather is just awful for softball in March and the fields are a mess. This year though, we're going to hit a little warm streak and the rain should be absent which makes the tournament pretty viable. It's 6 hours south east, so that helps from a weather standpoint: south is good. The drive can be therapeutic too....just driving along, listening to sports radio and relaxing. That's my plan at least.

The other week I learned that I did indeed possess the skills and tools necessary to "cook" crab at home. Having never done it before, it was a surprisingly good outcome. So naturally I cooked it again. When I say "cook" all I really mean is steaming them or putting them in a little bit of boiling water for about 4-5 minutes. Not terribly difficult, but awesome tasting. The first three batches were opilio crabs. Yesterday, we branched out into a small king crab type of crab. So these looked like king crabs, but smaller. They were pretty good, but not worth twice the price of opilios. King crabs are even more expensive ($20 a pound when not on sale) so I haven't given them a shot yet. Tomorrow I'm going to cook some dungeness crab and see how that tastes. We love some crab!!

4 comments:

Eric H. said...

That is one boring drive (my parent live in Cincinnati). XM or Sirius radio definitely required, or you're going to be hearing lots of crop reports.

alexis said...

sigh, crab!!

el supremo de nm said...

Crab = Yum/Good

Don't get turned into a crab thing because of radiation exposure in Cincinnati!

terri said...

LOVE crab... with lots of butter!

The Japanese have been advised to stay inside, but as I understand it, a lot of the "inside" is now gone. Not the greatest advice.