Friday, March 11, 2011

A walk through the hood

It was a beautiful day in Chicago today with bright sunshine and upper 40's. Yes, my bar for what a beautiful day is drops dramatically during these colder months. The mission for the day: find someone to fix my leather glove which had the thread come undone along a seam. It seemed to me that this is something a dry cleaner thrives on right? Alterations, repairs and the like are advertised all over their steamy windows. No such luck at the first two I tried though. Huh? The second one, and a customer at Starbucks, said I should try a shoe repair place. Really? Ok. So I continued walking down the street to the shoe repair guy.

He took a look and said I should try this other dry cleaner further down the street.

Fine, but I just went to two dry cleaners and they said to come here!

"We can't help you, so try the cleaners."

Dandy. So I walked there and they will indeed fix it. The trip left me much further away from home than I was planning though. Fortunately it was such a nice day that it was a pleasure to be out and about. Boy I miss summer!








On my journey I snapped this picture. Yep, there's a Five Guys hamburger joint opening up just a few blocks away. Ugh. Not sure if I can deal with the temptation.









And here are the pictures of the Patschki's we ate on Fat Tuesday. Delicious. They truly were delightful.




















5 comments:

terri said...

I'm really looking forward to the warmer weather. We're supposed to have a cold weekend, then into the 40s next week. YAY!

I've heard a lot of good things about Five Guys. There is one in Minneapolis, but not really close enough for me to try it without planning an outing especially to go there.

el supremo de nm said...

So what are Patschki?

Bee said...

El S De NM, they are basically a jelly donut! Had my first one ever this year and it was surprisingly 'FULL' of jelly. I believe they are Polish...and its spelled Paczki, with that funny line attached to the a...

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yep, Bee is right. I saw someone spell them how they thought they should be pronounced (he's Polish) and I just carried over the spelling. My bad!! Paczki it is.

alexis said...

wow, five guys going national! It has been warming up here as well.