Monday, March 28, 2011

Lifting

Last week I decided to step it up a notch and take the advice of B-to-B (aka Paul) and lift heavier weights with fewer reps to build muscle. Maybe it's because I'm not dropping any weight that I figure if I just get bigger, it'll at least be an excuse for being heavier (don't look at the ribs and cupcakes behind the curtain).

And actually LL has noticed already that my chest is bigger. It's interesting because so have I. So instead of doing 10 reps with 3 different weights (when bench pressing for instance), I'm starting with a heavier weight and doing 5 reps, then stepping it up ten pounds a set from there and only doing 5-6. Though I guess that's not true because the third set is the heaviest weight I'm going to do that day and I do it until I can't do anymore, which was 8 times today. Then I drop down to my starting weight again and do as many as I can at that weight, which was also 8. So I think I can go even heavier the next time.

But doing curls seems different. Instead of doing two sets of ten, I started at the same weight and did a set of 5, stepped up the weight, did 5 reps, stepped up the weight and struggled to finish the set of 5. I'm thinking I should cut out the middle set for curls and go from warm-up set to heaviest weight and then go back to the middle weight. We'll see how that works out.

Tomorrow, or Wednesday will be a running day. Looking forward to it.

Tonight we had steak and broccoli for dinner. Tomorrow, dungeness crab and some stir fry. We're going to try the peanut shrimp and pasta dish. Should be awesome!!

3 comments:

2006 Boundary Waters Canoe Trip said...

Be on the alert for gout!

terri said...

I admire your dedication to your workout plan. Keep it up! And as long as you do, you shouldn't feel guilty about the ribs and cupcakes.

alexis said...

it's fun when you start getting into an exercise program like this. Sort of like a hobby I suppose!