Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Catholic Church is pushing me

This weekend was even churchier than I first figured. Saturday's schedule was 8:30-4 and was very exhausting even though we were just sitting there. It was on the chillier side, so maybe that's what both kept us awake and tired us out. Saturday night we watched the Blackhawk's game and ordered ribs from a local place called The Piggery.

Why order ribs? No time to cook them and the place is called The Piggery! I HAD to try it. Tell you what, the ribs weren't bad at all. We agreed that mine are still better, but at least these fell off the bone. The sauce was decent, but not great and not Sweet Baby Ray's. The place was packed though, it's a bar as well, and I'm confident that they will make it.

So after ribs and during the hockey intermission, we did church homework. Yep, homework. We had to finish it after the game, because it was more than 12 minutes worth. Then to bed and we were back in church at 11:45 until 6, which included mass. LL was a trouper the whole weekend!! What a great gal I'm marrying. Today was all about saving yourself for marriage (sexually) and a myriad of other topics with which neither of us agree. The people presenting made it somewhat interesting at least and it was kind of intriguing to see people that actually believed some of this crap. And by crap I mean the topics of the church's beliefs on premarital sex and contraception.

We have one more day of it to go through....but I'm struggling. Apparently it's one of the more intense programs in the country (lucky us) and they take a particularly negative shine to cohabitation prior to marriage (which includes just having sex before marriage). That means extra work....and it's work I didn't want to do in college (to be in the frat house you had to take a test on the Greek alphabet) and I'm not nuts about doing it now. "It" of course is things that I don't choose to do, learn or study, but have to do. I'm not a big fan.

Sorry, just venting a little bit. We learned some things and good discussions, but that all could have taken place on Saturday.

5 comments:

alexis said...

it's interesting to hear that you don't follow all the edicts of your faith dogmatically - do you feel you're in the majority of the folk at your church in this stance?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

That's an interesting question. Since two of the dogmas are no premarital sex and no contraception, then yes, I'm guessing at least 80+ percent do not follow those.

el supremo de nm said...

I'm just glad I'm not getting second hand lightning striking me just for reading this!

Bee said...

Joe i hear ya Brother, imagine two 30 somethings sitting through that stuff..Ray and I sat through that stuff too...and while its pertinent to those who may be younger or not sure about things, we were just bored. and to Alexis: the majority of most western religions is about picking and choosing what you want to follow... thats why I try to live by treat others as you would have them treat you...okay...dismount soapbox...

terri said...

I remember those Catholic "marriage classes." I was 20 at the time, and having grown up in a strict Catholic household, still spent way too much time worrying about the fact that I didn't agree many of the church teachings and didn't live in accordance with them.

So I take it you found a priest that will perform your marriage ceremony, even though you are living together? We have friends who wanted to get married in the Catholic church, and ended up getting married by a Lutheran minister instead because the priest said he would only marry them if they moved into separate residences prior to the wedding.