Thursday, March 10, 2011

Stronger, but not smaller

Today I opted to incorporate my new eating strategy supported by absolutely no science whatsoever. The plan is basically to eat a high protein breakfast on days when I'm working out (actually lifting weights). On the non-workout days, I tried to reduce my caloric intake, but still keep the protein reasonably high, so like protein bars or something for breakfast and lunch and then my normal dinner. So I guess technically this plan started yesterday, Ash Wednesday, when I went the protein bar route for breakfast and lunch. Interestingly though, I also ran yesterday, so it was a triple win (reduced calories, exercise and experience some religion). We'll see how this plan works out.

Though I like the high protein breakfast plan, it wasn't helping me drop pounds at all. It was helping me to not snack in the morning and really got me through lunch in good shape plus I have been getting stronger. Unfortunately, it just wasn't helping me shed pounds, so we'll see how this new plan works. Am I hoping for too much to both drop weight and get stronger? I don't feel like I am.

Some busy times coming up. Next month is a trip to Berlin and Amsterdam and the following month is a reconnaissance (that is a HARD word to spell) trip to Puerto Rico. Throw in some softball tournaments and lots of wedding planning and it's going to be a busy summer. I might be getting stressed.

4 comments:

alexis said...

Joe are you overweight or something? Lots of thoughts on weight management over the past few weeks....

2006 Boundary Waters Canoe Trip said...

Your weight is actually fairly irrelevant. What's important is your body fat percentage. If you're getting stronger at the same weight, then your body fat is going down, which is good!

Once your muscle strength plateaus, you will start losing weight because you will continue to lose fat, but won't gain more muscle.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Ahh, but without a body fat percentage indicating tool that I can use regularly, weight is all I have to go by. And anyone who looks at me would say I could lose 5-10 pounds no problem, so I'll go with that!

el supremo de nm said...

I think that try to build strength and loosing weight (assuming you are not way overweight - which you are not) is very difficult to achieve especially as you get older.