Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Working out and working "IT".

The title is more interesting that what I'll write about, but I kind of liked the ring to it! Ha!

Tell me, is there anyone whiter than Tilda Swinton? I think not. Good Lord woman, go outside periodically.

Yesterday, in a dual purpose fulfilling act, I signed up for guitar lessons at the Old Town School of Music on Monday nights. I start next Monday!! I figured it will get me out and meeting new people, plus it will jump start me on something that I've wanted to do for some time. It should be fun and I'm looking forward to it.

Had yet another personal trainer session today, my third. We talked about recovery nutrition to help me be able to move my arms and legs the days after my training sessions. I had brought along a "Step 3 Power Bar" and he said they were actually pretty good things to eat after a workout. Nice! I might try some nutritional powders though....no steroids, don't worry. We also talked about the types of exercises I do the rest of the week. I've always done more "rehab" type of exercises which isolate muscles: bicep curl, tricep extensions, leg extensions, hamstring curls and butterflies.....all one muscle at a time exercises. Joel, my trainer, wants me to do more multiple muscle exercises: bench presses. push-ups, pull-ups, lat-pulls, rows, squats and lunges. Makes sense to me.

We ended up only getting about 2-3" of snow locally, though O'Hare officially received 5". Some of it melted today and tonight it's all supposed to freeze......again. The cold and ice are getting old!!

Rented American Gangster the other night and am watching Michael Clayton tonight. It's amazing, if you're not focusing your time and efforts on someone else, the amount of things you can do for yourself. Plus, you have more time to write your blog!!

10 comments:

alexis said...

that's very proactive Joe! I should maybe try that too.

Ken said...

I have a perfect post-workout drink!
1 scoop designer whey protein
2oz frozen strawberries
2oz frozen blueberries
1 banana
2-3oz fat free yogurt
1 tbsp flax oil
6-8oz water

stef said...

Congrats on the guitar lessons. You and dejesus will be doing Beatles duets before you know it.

Anonymous said...

Guitar lessons! Great now you and Ricardo will be doing duets in the office.

Anonymous said...

From deJesusFreak (having problems posting other than anonymously):

Who's your teacher, Joe? Of the two on Monday night, I hope you signed up for Elaine Moore at the Lincoln school -- it's a better facility than Armitage and I think she is a better teacher. (I had her for a vocal class.)

Better still, I would recommend Cathy Norden on Thursday nights.

Anyway, have fun! Don't be discouraged by the first couple of weeks -- your fingers will hurt and you might feel like you're behind, but stick with it.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD!! Were you able to find that fabulous guitar that you own under all the dust. ;-) I think it's great that you are finally taking those lessons. Good for you!!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

C'mon now dogbrian! I've always been jacked about that guitar....time has been an issue.

DF, Moore is indeed my teacher on Mondays. Thursday was closed already by the time I signed up, but that would have been my first choice.

That's good advice too. I'm just the kind of guy who would get frustrated, but I'm going into the lessons with pretty low expectations of myself...which I think is good!

Anonymous said...

I've had most of the teachers, Joe, so if you want advice, just ask.

--dJF

Anonymous said...

This is exactly why I enjoy my single by choice lifestyle, more time to nurture me. Besides I have found no one does it better than me yet.

Smiles,

The Slim Michelle

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

"no one does it better than me", SM, statements like that are going to get you into trouble! Weren't you hooked up with someone on NYE?? Did that not work out?