Tuesday, February 12, 2008

When in Orlando, visit the Walmart.

My weekend wasn't just softball in Orlando. I completely forgot to talk about what we did on Sunday after we were eliminated from the tournament.

Since most of the team is in their early 30's or younger, most of them stayed up almost all night on Saturday night/Sunday morning and then slept in Sunday morning until 11ish. As they all headed out to the bars on Saturday night, I headed to the most obvious place.....the Walmart. Yeah, that's right, the Walmart. It was 11:30 on a Saturday night and I'm shopping at a Walmart in Orlando. Sounds a little pathetic doesn't it?

Here's the deal though, I was really tired from getting up before 6 a.m. and then playing four games during the day. So going out to the bars was not a great option for me, plus the team would have been looking for me to drive the van I rented and I didn't want to be herding cats at 2 a.m. when the bars close AND having to be sober to drive everyone back to the houses. No thanks. So why go shopping?

Well, on the flight in, Southwest opened one of my zippered pockets on my luggage and all of my chargers were lost: toothbrush charger, cell phone charger, DVD player charger....all gone. I was hoping that Walmart had some sort of universal charger that would maybe charge up at least the phone and DVD player. And they did! That enabled me to watch 3:10 to Yuma on the flight home. A good movie by the way.

Sunday, after a leisurely cup of coffee at the local Starbucks while the younger folks slept, we all headed to this boardwalk type of touristy area. There were carnies and rides and shops and bars, so a little something for everyone. They also had go karts which 10 of us rented and had a blast running into each other while going around this vertically oriented track (think parking garage structure). Then two other guys and I bought these little plastic bb guns and ambushed the team coach in cross fire. That led to many more exchanges of gunfire throughout the day and some drive by shootings from the cars. Good times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The joy of the drive by shooting. Must be a Chicago thing.