Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Just a mish-mosh

One of my readers sent this link to an ESPN story from a few years back that is now on YouTube regarding Rollen Stewart, the rainbow-afro-wig-guy. It's a good piece.

Read in the paper the other day that we had 9 inches of snow last year in Chicago and this year we are around 42 inches. That's the kind of winter it's been. Ugh.

Today I read that Yahoo!, in order to pay off it's $20 billion in debts, needs to fire 4,500 employees or 31% of their workforce. Doing the simple math means that each employee was saving them $4.4 million! Holy shit! Why aren't we all working for Yahoo! ?? Then the article said that in addition to the layoffs, they would have to sell $12.5 billion in investments. Oh, well that makes the number more reasonable right? Nope, it only drops the per-employee cost to $1.67 million. Now, you have to figure that some of the people are only making $50,000 a year right?? I mean there have to be SOME employees in that range. So for each one of those that there is, there's another employee making $3.3 million!!! Sure, the article is looking longer term than this year, but the numbers are still huge unless you're going out 10 years!!

Friday I head down to Orlando for a softball tournament and return on Sunday night. I haven't been playing much over the winter, in fact not at all, but I played last Saturday and did well so I'm expected good things. Next week I start my training sessions and am looking forward to it! Best case scenario is that I lose about 10 pounds over 12 weeks and maybe add some muscle mass. We'll see. The weight isn't a huge issue, but it should happen organically.

Well, the cough is definitely improving, but I still have some spasms when I try to have elongated conversations. Yet another reason to keep my mouth shut I guess!!

3 comments:

alexis said...

hrmm, that's about 42 inches more snow than what we've received here in Holland. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

stef said...

I thought we were going to be spared the snow when it didn't come last night. But now they say it's coming today???

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you realize this, Joe, but the math isn't quite as outrageous as you make it out to be. In the course of eliminating 4,500 positions, Yahoo will presumably be able to get rid of a lot of operating (non-salary) expenses and overhead as well.

As for the snow, I actually prefer winters like this to the ones where we have only 9 inches of snow and spend the entire winter in 9 degree/-5 wind chills.

Hope the trip improves your health!