Sunday, February 03, 2008

Super Bowl Sunday

Another Super Bowl, another winning bet! Hopefully you took my advice and snagged the Giants and 12 pts. If you did, good for you!! None of my Super Bowl squares came through, though I was just 2:35 away from winning $400! Damn.

We got dumped on with snow during and after the game (looks like another 4+ inches), so I'm sure the roads were just a nightmare with all the drunks out there. I had to drive MWrigley home through the mess. Ugh.

Speaking of which, we had a nice day today with me cooking and MWrigley consuming. Actually we both consumed, but I did all the cooking. We also had pina coladas in the afternoon as we watched the pregame shows and I prepared my chili.

Here are a few pictures:





Here are the pre-game ingredients. All the chili fixin's, a bag of marinating water chestnuts and a bag of marinating pineapple chunks. Mmmmm.












These are the bacon wrapped pineapple chunks. They were marinated overnight in sweet and sour sauce. Good stuff!! A first time creation for me.











The pina colada in a freezer Bears mug along with the second batch of bacon wrapped items: water chestnuts marinated in teriyaki sauce, figs and prunes (yes, prunes!).










A close up of the finished goods.












I'm sure you're thinking a few things: Why pina coladas?? And why prunes?? Well, MWrigley and I have been trying to figure out a warm weather vacation spot and I thought it might be fun to set the tone and whip up some pina coladas. Plus I have some leftover pineapple juice from draining the pineapple chunks.

The prunes are completely out of left field. I had dates too, but ran out of bacon so I opted for the prunes. Fresh prunes are really very juicy and I've always liked them so I thought they might be similar to a fig to some degree once wrapped in bacon. Success!! They were very, very good!!

2 comments:

alexis said...

WOW - that looks fantastic. I am a big fan of fruit+fat combo. Prunes seem a great way to make sure the damage of the bacon is balanced.

stef said...

bacon wrapped anything sounds good to me!