Thursday, February 14, 2008

A few well placed swings with a hammer.....

....and progress is made. Tuesday I decided to make some more progress on the demolition of the shower and guest bathroom. This "before" picture doesn't show the wall above where the tile was, but that's where I decided to start. I basically made a line of hammer holes across the top of the wall so I could take the tile down below the line.


Then I did essentially the same thing with the wall on the right in this picture: a bunch of hammer holes creating a perforated line across the wall and the entire wall came off with basically one big tug. Pretty cool. Then it was just a matter of breaking up the wall into manageable pieces so I could throw it away incognito. Normally, when doing renovation work of this size, you should rent a dumpster and have it picked up by a service. I opted for the City of Chicago service!


Here are the after pictures from today.




The last part of this wall got stripped down.
























These two pictures are of the wall to the right as your looking into the shower. It's opposite the shower head on the left. I took this entire wall down in pretty much one piece from the tile down.
















This is the top portion of the wall in the picture above.









I've figured out a nice little routine for doing the demolition. I put on my ripped jeans, throw on a bad t-shirt, an old baseball hat, my goggles, my face mask and hiking shoes. Then I grab an old garbage can, close the bathroom door, turn on the exhaust fan and go to work. Once I get done what I want (several bags full), I pull around to the front of the building one of the city cans which has wheels. Then I only have to get the bags outside and the rest is easy. It's all about the process baby!!

2 comments:

stef said...

Do you feel like the incredible hulk or something when you are taking the walls down? If it were me there would be some serious sound effects involved.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

It does feel good to tear stuff apart! Pretty sweet.