Monday, February 18, 2008

Some Bears Talk.....sorry MLB.


Here is the Christmas Card Wall of Fame, though I think it is from a few years ago so there have been a few more frames added. Plus MINE needs to be added now!!


Hope y'all had a nice President's Day. The weather her in Chicago took another nasty turn. Amy Freeze said, "If you think today was cold, tomorrow will be frigid." Freeze says tomorrow's frigid. Ha! For some reason I just get a kick out of that.

Just heard from Dry Dock that they've had over 75" of snow in Green Bay. That makes our 45"+ here seem like the Caribbean. Still, the cold and snow seems to be worse this year...maybe it's because we had such a mild winter last year.



I have to go into some Bears news as some significant things happened over the last few days. Darwin Walker wasn't given a roster bonus and was released, which I'm not nuts about because he added some nice depth on our defensive line when healthy. They did extend Alex Brown's contract two years though to help on the defensive line.

They also released Muhsin Muhammad, one of their two starting wide receivers. The other starting wide receiver is a free agent and the Bears might not be able to afford him. So if the Bears do miraculously find a quarterback, he'll have no one to throw to. Speaking of which, there aren't any free agent quarterbacks on the market worth a crap. What I love though is that there are some teams with really bad quarterbacks who are going to think that Rex Grossman just needs a change of scenery and then he'll be fine. They'll offer him a ton of money and the Bears will reluctantly let him go, allowing Lovie Smith to save face for having started the ass clown during the Super Bowl run.

So that will leave us with Griese and Orton. We still won't have a running game unfortunately, but now we won't have any receivers to throw to either! There is a possibility of picking up either Michael Turner or Julius Jones at RB. Either would be an upgrade over Benson. Two free agent WR's could help: DJ Hackett and Bryant Johnson. If they pick up Alan Faneca or him and another one of the several guards and tackles on the free agent market for the offensive line, they could actually have a reasonable offense. That's a lot of free agent moves though and it will take a few games to get the offensive line to gel, but it would be worth the investment. They'll replace the aging Rueben Brown and the 35 year old Fred Miller who was released with two years left on his $25M contract.

So it's February and football is still on the forefront of my mind.....just like the NFL likes it.

6 comments:

alexis said...

Good thing you have the crappy football to take your mind off the crappy weather. Er. I think...

Anonymous said...

The Bears never did have any decent receivers. Muhammad was possibly the most overrated WR in the league -- how many times did he lead the NFL in dropped passes?

Oh, and why is the comment section not letting me to put my name in (deJesusFreak)? It has a blank for Name/URL, but I don't have a URL and it would only let me post anonymously.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Must be that "dejesus blocker" I installed. Actually I have no idea. Anyone else having problems?

No doubt that Moose was overrated. Oh the hope we fans had for him when he came here. Three years and only 12 touchdowns later, we're not shedding a tear as he leaves.

I heard today they are thinking of bringing Marty Booker back because he's a younger, faster Moose. So maybe Moose from 3 years ago?? We already saw how that panned out.

Anonymous said...

I always post using that choice, De J, and it works for me. I have no URL either...

Anonymous said...

Joe,

I have to brag just because I am on a 1.5 day business trip in 70 Melbourne, Florida. To walk outside for 30 min and swim with the sun shining feels like I am a starving woman eating a saltine cracker. It is yummy!!

Michelle

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Good for you Michelle! The weather hasn't improved at all up here, though I hear we might get to 40 next Monday!! Whoo-hoo!!