Friday, February 15, 2008

FTD and why I hate them!!!

For all you "under rock" dwellers, yesterday was Valentines Day. I feel the need to point this out because apparently not everyone is aware of it. Even some people who are in the BUSINESS of delivering flowers for the holiday. That's right, I'm convinced FTD had no idea yesterday was Valentines Day. Two weeks ago I ordered a beautiful bouquet of flowers for MWrigley to be delivered on Thursday with some Godiva chocolates. I received my email confirmation that the order was received on the site and then on Wednesday received an email that gave me a tracking number with Fedex.

Great, everything was on schedule. And fortunately so because MWrigley was cooking dinner for us....and WHAT a dinner. I'll go into that in a minute. So noon rolls around and still no flower delivery and MWrigley informs me that she's going to the other building for a meeting as she has to do on every Thursday (unbeknown to me). Great. Now, even if the flowers DO come, she won't get them until Friday.

Well, they didn't come on Thursday and they didn't come on Friday either! I spent all day trying to reach FTD, but have not been able to get through. Once I was on hold for 20 minutes, but gave up. I've pretended to be placing a new order, checking up on an existing order, reporting a problem, even calling the number for international residents to call (non-toll free). Nothing worked. Even as late as 7:00 today I was not able to get through. Bastards. Use someone else in the future!!!

Now for dinner. Flowerless, MWrigley STILL wanted me to come over precisely at 6:00. At least I wasn't late, oh and I did bring wine and chocolate covered strawberries. She had candles on the table and two brand new place settings all set out (yes, brand new dishes just for the evening!). I was not allowed in the kitchen and basically just had to sit at the table and pour wine.

For an appetizer, we had a thinly sliced baguette with blue cheese, pistachios and drizzled with honey. So simple and so very delicious! The main dish was a rolled chicken stuffed with chopped olives and garlic. Very tasty. On the same plate was asparagus and pasta with a simple and flavorful tomato sauce. For dessert, she served a strawberry shortcake of sorts in a glass. The cake portion was actually pound cake soaked a little with amaretto. The strawberries actually were soaked in some balsamic vinaigrette. It wasn't even really noticeable, but the whole dessert was fantastic!!! The chocolate covered strawberries that I brought were horrible, at least the chocolate was. Ugh. Nothing I did was going right, but we still had a great night.

So I guess you don't HAVE to send flowers on Valentines Day, but me thinks I'll still try to get some to her in short order.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The more that you tell me about what MW eats and cooks the more I am uplifted that she will have a horizon expanding influence on you - I can't wait until she convinces you to take a trip to France.

stef said...

That blue cheese app. Sounds amazing. I'll definitely be using that one sometime soon!