Wednesday, November 07, 2007

To PDA or Not to PDA? That is the Question.

So yesterday I was working most of the day with some deeply intellectual conference calls and then had a decent workout at the gym in the afternoon. After driving back to the office to finish up some more work, I picked up MWrigley to go to dinner and use a gift certificate at Lalos Restaurant at 500 North LaSalle. The certificate, which I obtained through a charity event somehow, allowed for a free appetizer, two entrees and two desserts. Lalos is known for their margaritas which were not included, but oh so tasty and very big. We ordered the medium sized one for $12 and I couldn't even finish mine! Truthfully it was, in part, because we had so much food to eat, but it was a big drink.

Due to the long work day(s), trip to the gym and a missed turn which caused me to triple my driving time to Lalos, I was in a bit of a pissy mood. The sight of MWrigley certainly helped perk me up though as did our conversation. As I think I've mentioned before though, she doesn't like PDA in restaurants. Since I know this, it shouldn't be a big deal but last night it was for some reason. While I can speculate all day as to why (we hadn't seen each other in two days, I was tired, I was pissy, she looked exceptionally pretty, etc) all I know is that I was frustrated and unhappy and the feeling wouldn't go away. Despite her efforts to draw me out of the mood, anything short of some smooches and hugs probably wasn't going to work. As such, instead of heading over to her place after dinner, I just dropped her off, much to her (and mine quite frankly) surprise. It just seemed like the mood of the nice dinner was ruined somewhat, partially because of outside factors impacting me and partially because of this arbitrary "no restaurant PDA" rule.

And what kind of problems is this rule going to cause in the future? Having been in three long term relationships, I know that a good portion of romantic interludes later in a relationship occur within the environs of a cozy restaurant. If you suddenly take away that as a romantic venue, what will we be left with? Movie theater? Parking lots? Starbucks? It's not good I'm telling ya!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh for gosh sakes, suck it up! =)
I'd send some roses and a real HELIUM filled balloon and a not that says sorry...it was my time of the month...tsk

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You hypocrite!! Don't get me started on YOUR PDA's. Good Lord.

Anonymous said...

S-A-R-C-A-S-M...just playing, geez...

stef said...

Hrm. i think Bee is in the right and some flowers are in order. It sounds like you were kinda grumpy anyway and the no-PDA rule is where it came out. Now when you say NO PDA does this include hand-holding, etc? Or is the rule limited to spit swapping and such?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Stef, periodically a reach across the table for brief hand holding. Nothing even smooch related though.

It's definitely not a flower offense though. Plus, I tend to send flowers only after positive events as opposed to a makeup offering. Not sure why, maybe because I'm a stay positive guy??

Anonymous said...

Obviously, it's because when it comes to the fairer sex, Joe's never in the wrong. Right, Joe?

Hell, I think she should apologize to you. When she has a lousy day, she expects you to cheer her up and be there for her, right? What's wrong with the other way around?

Oh, what's that? She did try to draw you out of your mood? You're on your own, buddy.

*backs slowly out of the room*

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Now that was pretty funny dejesus.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I'm inspired by the prior weeks of unfolding info on MWrigley. So it's one awkward dinner...these things happen. I'm so pleased to hear about the progress and plans to take her to Vegas, and the mutual meeting of the parents. I'm crossing my fingers for you two!! Oh, anytime is a good time to send flowers. If you haven't done it already, then maybe now to celebrate your fun holiday and travel schedule together is the time. She looks pretty in the photos, post more!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Well thanks anonymous! I've sent flowers.....three times I think, so I'm going to hold off on that for a bit. It's time to focus on Christmas gifts now!