Sunday, November 11, 2007

Are the Bears THAT bad?

As my faithful readers know, I'm a huge Bears fan and season ticket holder. Nary a home game goes by that I don't tailgate and most away games will find me at a bar with buddies (except for one week when a certain cute female stole my attention for the afternoon). Today however, with the Bears out of town, my softball buddies didn't want to go out!! What's that?? Why?? "Just not into going out and thought watching from home would be fine." Huh?? Are the bears now THAT uninteresting to people that they don't even want to experience the camaraderie that is hitting the bars on game day?

And then it sunk in......I really wanted to stay home too! Heavens to murgatroid! It's true. Staying home and watching the game while I cleaned up the condo, organized stuff and did laundry was actually compelling to me. Ugh. Someone shoot me. Of course, I was up until 2 a.m. on Saturday, so maybe I was just tired. Yeah, that's it!

Our condo building is finally replacing an old, shitty, falling down fence in our backyard. We had done one portion of the fence last year when we needed a new gate put into the old fence, but we held off on the rest of it. Here are some pictures I took. Unfortunately, no before pictures.






The old fence piled up in the yard with the first section of fence from last year in the back ground.











More of the debris. Notice the red maple in the corner. It appears in other pictures below.














You can barely see the maple by the completed fence section. To the right of the posts is our neighbor's yard. This is where the rats come from!











Our "security" gate. For two days, it didn't provide much security. Even the meth addicts can figure out how to get around this one. I was standing in front of the gate when I took picture #2 above and the next picture.









Apparently out of focus red maple. Very nice contrast with the fence though....just not focused. Damn.















The completed security gate! Yay!! Also the best picture of the fence.











Outside my bedroom door. Nice and secure as the fence now goes up over the fire escape. I'm on the first floor and we don't even need to have the fire escapes anymore.






One final note: while walking by my neighbor's front yard, I noticed the return of several rat holes in their yard. So again today, I decided to fight them over there so I don't have to fight them here and out came T-Rex!! Yep, the mighty T-Rex has returned. He hasn't made a killing since the Spring, but should have ample opportunity tonight. There were at least four rat holes over there. Ugh. He's already been out there for four hours, so I might go check on him! I just can't help myself.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are the bears now THAT uninteresting to people that they don't even want to experience the camaraderie that is hitting the bars on game day?

Yes, and have been so for nearly 20 years. Actually, I did watch a bit yesterday. I've seen high school games that were better played and I've seen quilting bees that were more exciting.

Boring is awful and the Bears have been boring for most of my life. But lousy and boring is just unconscionable.

Anonymous said...

Hear that noise in the back ground? That's the sound of age creeping up on you. Think about it - French restaurants, stay at home for the game, posts of food and home improvement projects.

stef said...

Urg- just no more Trex pix PLEASE

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I almost called you dejesus!! Now I know that would not be a wise move.

I know you want me to age el supremo, but I'm fighting it (and you) every step of the way!!!

Ok stef, no worries. Didn't catch anything last night. I had to use PB in the trap because I didn't have any meat scraps. Not good enough I guess.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you've been telling me that you'd take me to a Bears game for the last 5 years or so. I've given up hope.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I've been saving you from being bored and frustrated on a Sunday afternoon dejesus!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I was just venting -- someone peed in my Corn Flakes or something.

It is true that I have a love/hate relationship with the Bears. It is also true that I find their offense dull and have felt this way for nearly all my life.

Furthermore, I also am becoming far less interested in the NFL this year than in seasons past. To me, the Carolina Panthers, Tennessee Titans, and Jacksonville Jaguars are all basically the same generic team. I may not renew my NFL Season Ticket package next year, and I feel guilty about that. The NFL is letting me down and I may be letting it down as well.

Finally, I've always said that I'd generally believe that it is better to watch on TV, when you can see replays, highlights of other games, etc., without freezing or paying excessive beer prices.

That said, I've always had fun at tailgates and when I have gone to games (it's been about 8 years), I did have good times.