Saturday, November 17, 2007

"I Woke up this morning and I stepped outside; I took a deep breath and I......THWACK!!"

Yes, I interrupt this regularly scheduled softball tournament report for a brief update on T-Rex. As you know, he was deployed in the Basra region of my neighbor's yard earlier this week and promptly had his first kill. After a thorough cleaning, T-Rex was redeployed Friday night with the bait du jour, peanut butter. This morning the world was rewarded with yet another quickly killed rat!! Two kills for T-Rex this week! Outstanding. He'll be re-re-deployed Sunday night.

After pulling T-Rex back home and getting my morning coffee, I headed out to the softball fields in Carol Stream for 9:45 batting practice. The weather here sucked for softball today: cold, periodic drizzle and a cold 20 mph wind. Ugh. We won our first game though and then came up against a team 2 to 3 levels above us during the regular season. This tournament was an "open" tournament which meant it didn't matter how good your team is, everyone plays by the same rules. We hung with them anyway though and only lost by 5 runs, which our defense pretty much gave them.

We followed that loss with a win over the top team in the losers' bracket on our side of the seedings and we handled them pretty well. Unfortunately, that put us right back against the team that had just beaten us. After spotting them 7 in the first, we put forth a game effort only to lose by 10 in seven innings. So I think we went 3-2 though maybe I'm missing a game. Truthfully, it was so cold and the conditions so tough, it's hard to remember the actual games. I do know that I was 4-4 in the last game with a ground rule double that would have been a triple if it didn't go out of play. Overall for the tournament, I think I was something like 11 for 16 I think which would be a .688 average.....pretty damn good.

The good news is that the team finished third and both of the teams ahead of us play a few levels above us during the regular season. It was good for us to play together again prior to Vegas in a few weeks though.

4 comments:

alexis said...

I can't believe you're still playing softball!

Anonymous said...

You know the anthropomorphism of T-Rex is getting a bit disturbing...even given your normal mental state. It's not joining us for the morning coffee run; no matter how happy you are with it!

stef said...

yes, it seems a little cold for the softball. Although- who am i to talk?

Anonymous said...

I <3 T-Rex!