Tuesday, November 27, 2007

How much bacon did I eat at the tailgate?

After the rousing Bears victory on Sunday, it was time to clean up from the tailgate and get out of all of those warm clothes I had on. Everything was fine and dandy until had to take off my tight fitting Under Armor leggings. Once I got them down to my knees, I realized I was going to need to sit down to finish the job. Two little bunny hops and I was over to the bed (now there's a visual huh?). I plopped down on the bed.....CRACK! Uh oh. That didn't sound good. And it wasn't. Below is the damage done to my....what...8-10 year old hand made frame (by sometimes poster Dry Dock no less!).







That bowing out piece is supposed to be up tight against the facing board you see. The supports underneath the bed were fine. You can see some of those in this picture.











Only the ends were still attached, but broke free in short order too. Heck, one of the wood screws actually split in half!!!








It was not a good time to start messing with the bed right away, so I slept in it (on the other side) without incident and attacked it Monday morning. After emailing Ricardo to let him know I'd be in the office late, to which I received a rousing bout of laughter, I started working through in my mind what I needed to do. First thought was just to somehow push the board back into place and make sure the screws were secure. That didn't work. I needed more upward pressure.

What lifts very heavy things, that I might have around the house and is easy to use?? That's right, a car jack! After searching my trunk for 10+ minutes, I finally found the damn thing. It was only now that I realized I've never had to use it with my Camry....knock on wood. Everything has to be complicated doesn't it??

Next, I had to go to the local hardware store and pick up some Gorilla Glue (made from real gorillas) and some wood screws. After raiding Manual Labor Mike's stash of tools for two large, adjustable clamps, I was ready to go! Here's a picture of the solution. Blow it up because it's kind of funny.









Not the FIRST time a car jack has been in my bedroom. (wink, wink)





Well, I'm happy to report that the bed seems pretty sturdy again. Four wood screws, Gorilla Glue and a long setting time and it seems to be ok. Mr. Fix It strikes again!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive Mr. Joe. Remind me to note this on our list of services - bed repair.

stef said...

Great post joe! The pics really bring it to life. I think the car jack is a good look for bedroom decor...

Anonymous said...

Who would have guessed that you were so handy with tools? Had I been able to predict your future life style I would have recommended an upgrade to an industrial strength model.