Thursday, July 12, 2007

So who bought FAST?

Back in mid-June I recommended a stock called Fastenal, based on several pieces of data and valuation methodologies. Well if you bought it then (under $42 a share), today was a pretty good day for you. Their second quarter earnings beat estimates by a penny on increased revenues and the stock jumped almost 10% to over $46 a share. Hopefully you bought lots of it like I did. Oh, and they announced a dividend for August too, so you get even more money!!!

In case you missed it, do not go out with your iPod in the rain or during a thunderstorm!! Apparently people are getting fried left and right while wearing headphones and such. Of course, these instruments do not attract lightning, but they can make the injuries a lot worse if lightning even strikes NEAR BY including burns and burst ear drums. Take caution......reason #38 why not to use an iPod outside.

Today I made mention of the Mason-Dixon Line while chastising someone from the south...it's just what I do. Afterwards I had to look it up on Wikipedia, just because, again, it's what I do. Interesting shape to the line and not what I would have expected.

Finally, Naperville Greg called last night to discuss, of all things, a political candidate. I was at softball so I did some research when I got back home and found this incredibly interesting and seemingly independent website. I highly recommend it for doing research on candidates from both parties. They list out all sorts of issues and then group quotes or statements from each candidate about those issues. One page of issues/quotes per candidate. Good stuff. Need to know what Mitt Romney thinks about gun control? Obama's stance on abortion? Giuliani on family and children? Easy to find.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about any given candidate's position on anarchy. Oops must have taken too much in from Motherrocker's recent post.

stef said...

Wow- that is a cool site Joe! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I bought 10,000 shares and, boy, am I happy!

NOT!

alexis said...

Wow, great site for candidates Lakeview!

I didn't buy the stock. Maybe next time..

Anonymous said...

I normally consider stock tips something like tips on a good horse ("I swear, he's a sure thing!"), but I suppose if I was going to pay attention to anyone, it would probably be you, Joe.

I invested $10,000 of fake money in Fastenal and now I'm pseudo-rich!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Ricardo, with that cloud over your head, I'm sure the stock would have gone to zero if you bought it.

Y'all are welcome regarding the site. Nothing like an informed populace!

Pseudo congratulations dejesus!

Seriously though, in the year I've written this blog this is the first time I've recommended a stock. It's not something I do very often. Heck, I don't think I've ever even recommended a stock to you in person since I've known you.

Anonymous said...

You haven't, Joe -- nor have I asked (though I have been tempted at times).

Ken said...

Thanks Joe!! I bought 1,000 shares :))

Ken said...

Correction.... I bought 100 shares :)Still great!!