Sunday, July 29, 2007

First Cicada of the Year.

Yesterday was another softball tournament, this one a combination of teams at our level and one higher. In order to "equalize" the competition, the higher level team has to use the lower level team's home run rule. Our level in this organization is limited to 2 home runs per game and a level higher than us is limited to 4 per game. If you hit a home run after you reach your limit, it immediately ends your offensive inning regardless of how many outs there are at the time. It's really not much of an equalizer, though in one of our losses the other team had already hit their two home runs and on the first pitch of their half inning, they hit another home run which ended the inning for them. We won our first game and then lost against two higher level teams.





Just shot this today! This is the only cicada I've seen in Chicago proper this year and it's on the stairs on my back porch. The grub shell is on the right and the newly hatched cicada is on the left.








On my way to Michigan I heard a radio spot that I found somewhat disturbing. It went something like this:
"Looking for that once in a lifetime anniversary gift? Want to show her how much you love her? Give her the gift of a vasectomy! Is your family complete? Get an incision free vasectomy at the Vasectomy Clinics of Chicago "
What?! Are they serious? Is this really considered a "gift" to a woman? Good Lord.

5 comments:

alexis said...

I must say, my preference would probably be for a vacation, but then again, I don't live in the US anymore so maybe I don't count.

stef said...

It certainly looks like you had gorgeous weather on your vacation!
I would comment on the vasectomy thing but I don't want to get in trouble....

Anonymous said...

Oh come on Stef we all want to hear your comment on the vasectomy thing. I think a lot of wives would be happier if their husbands had a lobotomy rather than a vasectomy.

Anonymous said...

I think that el supremo is correct. Although i think my wife may find some pleasure in having my boys swell up like grapefruits with considerable discomfort for a few days.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

C'mon dd, I know your wife and she would so NOT find pleasure in that. Funny though.

Funny el supremo!

stef, do tell!!

And Alexis, I think that just makes you normal....at least I hope so.