Monday, June 18, 2007

Traffic sucks the life out of you.

Today, in an effort to AVOID traffic, I tried to leave my house at 3 to get out to Naperville so I could take my parents out to dinner. Unfortunately, due to Manual Labor Mike's hangover and late start, I couldn't leave the house until 3:30. The impact? It took me two hours to get out to my folk's place. Ugh. How the hell do people do that on a regular basis?

Sunday I drove back from Champaign, almost three hours. Today it was two hours to Naperville (then back home). Now tomorrow my softball team wants me to go to Glen Ellyn for a double-header, another hour plus drive. That's too much time in the car for me.

Found out today that my parents are going up to their cottage for a month! The only weekend that I don't have a softball tournament is the weekend that my sister is already going to see them. Crap. Maybe I'll go during the week or....gasp....miss a tournament.

People often ask me about investments and stocks in particular. Well, today I bought shares is a company called Fastenal (ticker: FAST). What do they do? They make fasteners. All sorts of fasteners. You couldn't get a more boring business. However, they are profitable and have a lock, pardon the pun, on the market. Morningstar uses a lot of factors to determine a good price to buy and a good price to sell based on current information including current estimates of future earnings. Based on these machinations, Morningstar says you should buy this stock up to about $53 a share with a fair value of $63 and consider selling it around $83 a share. The current price? Under $42 a share. Seems like a good bet. There you go. Don't say I never gave you anything!!

1 comment:

alexis said...

oooo, I'm still stock-shy. I stick to mutual funds, more complimentary to my laziness.